Thread: Want To Get Rid of Fibre Optic Sight

Want To Get Rid of Fibre Optic Sight

I have a Brocock Atomic and can't stand the fibre optic sight does anybody have any bright ideas on how to get rid of it / fill it in, I'm guessing replacement sights without the fibre optic aren't available.

Why not just black it out with a felt marker or model paint.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Why not just black it out with a felt marker or model paint.

Pete.
    That had crossed my mind, what I didn't want to do was try it and find it really didn't work so was interested to see if anyone suggested it that had done it and how it worked out before I did something that would be hard to undo.

I also thought about taking it out, filling the hole with epoxy (sanding down if necessary) and then permanent black marker but that would be even harder to reverse.

Guess I could black it out with non permanent 1st and see what it was like.

Quote Originally Posted by rottenshot View Post
    That had crossed my mind, what I didn't want to do was try it and find it really didn't work so was interested to see if anyone suggested it that had done it and how it worked out before I did something that would be hard to undo.

I also thought about taking it out, filling the hole with epoxy (sanding down if necessary) and then permanent black marker but that would be even harder to reverse.

Guess I could black it out with non permanent 1st and see what it was like.
    Wilkinsons. Plastikote Flat black enamel (59ml) fast dry paint.ATB. Pete. PS. It is very durable in use but can be removed with a finger nail and reapplied at will.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

As I am over 40 I like fibre optic sights.
    I did buy a second hand Crosman with painted out fibres which did what you want.
    But I scraped the paint off to reinstate.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Wilkinsons. Plastikote Flat black enamel (59ml) fast dry paint.ATB. Pete. PS. It is very durable in use but can be removed with a finger nail and reapplied at will.
    I followed this, it was very effective. Because the surface of the rear optic is so small, you need a very small paint brush. Alternatively a very small dab of paint using a cotton bud can produce a neat job...worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I did buy a second hand Crosman with painted out fibres which did what you want.
    My first experience of the fibre optic sights on the HW40 was that they were great, especially in dimly lit areas or on a dark target. But after using other pistols that have plain sights I find the glow is distracting (and blurred due to my even older peepers).

Thanks for everyone's input I'll definitely try the Plastikote, it's a "no brainer" especially if it can then be removed so cheers for that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rottenshot View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input I'll definitely try the Plastikote, it's a "no brainer" especially if it can then be removed so cheers for that!!!
    You will probably use less than 1% of the contents of the pot...but I have already found it is useful for other touch up jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I agree mate. I have recently acquired a very nice Hammerli Junior and have just bought some 1.5mm fibre optic rod so that I can make the front sight visible to my 65 year old peepers. You know it makes sense..
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    I agree mate. I have recently acquired a very nice Hammerli Junior and have just bought some 1.5mm fibre optic rod so that I can make the front sight visible to my 65 year old peepers. You know it makes sense..
    Pete.

I find it makes them harder to see and it's because of my eyes that I want to change them, I find I see the sights and mainly distinguish the top of the front blade better on the other 2 pistols I have without fibre optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    You will probably use less than 1% of the contents of the pot...but I have already found it is useful for other touch up jobs.
    Exactly, and its not expensive. I've done all my guns that have F. optics. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.