Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widening the collection a little bit - classic springer pistol suggestions please?

Widening the collection a little bit - classic springer pistol suggestions please?

I've always been a Webley man with a Mark I, Senior and Junior in my meagre collection alongside a brace of Makarov MP-654K's (my other passion). But I would like to add maybe two or three other pistols.

Like most here it's all about good old solid metal, walnut and proper mechanical engineering. Nothing too bulky or heavy (ie HW45). But maybe something quirky. Budget ideally under £150 each. British, German/European preferred.

I'm thinking about an HW70 to start and also the Haenel 28 - always loved the look of this.

Can other collectors maybe help with a few ideas?
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    You might stretch to a Hubertus for your budget if your really lucky.

Dave

Hi,

Unfortunately, your budget will be the limiting factor as there isn't too much worth considering around the £150 mark. The sheer number of Webley pistols produced and superb manufacturing quality resulted in high survival rates and consequent reasonable current prices.

Although I like the appearance of the Haenal 28, its awkward cocking method makes it a bit of a pain to use. The only two still reasonably inexpensive pistols I could suggest are the Accles & Shelvoke 'Acvoke' and the BSA 240 Magnum both of which are great fun to own and shoot.

The alternative would be to limit yourself to say one additional pistol costing a bit more, but which would mean you could look at some really nice, but rarer pistols such as the 'Warrior' 'Abasmajor' etc.

As stated above, the Hubertus certainly ticks the box if it's quirky your'e after, but I would expect to pay around £200-£300 for a reasonable large frame pistol and much more for the earlier small frame variant.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 12-01-2015 at 04:33 PM.

FWB 65.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

That be a Blackburn price Ian?
    £250 around here.

How about a little Record Jumbo deluxe.
    Well within budget -nice build.
    Not great power but pleasingly accurate and unique.

Or a Hyscore of which I could say the same.

Thanks all, very helpful indeed.

I also had the Walther LP53 and Diana Model 5 or 6 suggested via PM.

I'm sure the HW70 goes for under £100, searching back as well the Haenel 28 has been offered at £150 odd in the last year or two so hopeful on those - the other suggestions I have not looked into prices fetched (talking private forum sales prices not trade/auction/Guntrader etc).

My vote would the original American Hyscore or one of its variants. Also a BSA 240 magnum if that isn't too new for you.
    Pete.

Original models. 5,6,6g,6m.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    That be a Blackburn price Ian?
    £250 around here.

How about a little Record Jumbo deluxe.
    Well within budget -nice build.
    Not great power but pleasingly accurate and unique.

Or a Hyscore of which I could say the same.
    I recently sold one, O.K. it was tatty, on here for £160 to HS-ING. Tatty it was but very accurate.

I used it to win the 2013 MPL 6 yd national postal compts. Wow! and Ive got the trophy to prove it.

The FWB65 was I think the last airgun I owned and its the one I regret selling the most. It was a little bit tatty but shot so well and it felt built to last a lifetime. Great pistols.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The FWB 65 series knocks the other springers into a cocked hat. It balances extremely well, feels great in the hand, has exquisite engineering and will never wear out (aside from springs and seals). It is recoilless and is extremely accurate. It also puts out reasonable power. I did indeed get IJ's old one, which I would say had 'character' rather then being 'tatty'.

The HW70 has slipperly plastic grips, a cast alloy barrel with a steel insert liner, and it puts out just slightly more energy than an air-soft. Its a nice little trainer, but it is well worth finding the extra money to get the 65, even if you have to do an eeeeeeeeebay blitz or save up for six months.

How about the Baikal 53M as a cheaper HW70 alternative?

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Original 5g recoiless & very accurate & relatively cheap. The Warrior is a must have,well made & as powerful as a webley. It was let down by a trigger like a gin trap but was a good pistol non the less. My favorite however has to be the Crossman 1300, all steel & powerful & accurate.
    I bought one from Ernie Greenberg in 76 & it was the dogs danglies. It appears to have been one of a batch that were imported without being detuned for the Uk market. On 20 pumps it had a report like a rimfire & gave an airsporter a red face over a chrono. I draw a veil over my activities with it but it was huge fun. I wore the poor old thing out!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I did indeed get IJ's old one, which I would say had 'character' rather then being 'tatty'.
    When advertising I would rather err on the side of caution and under estimate the goods condition. Then there is no come backs.
    The exception to this is HW95 stocks when I bang any old tat out.

ATB
    Ian

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Buy an early model, steel Premier because it combines the good points of the Senior and Mk1. Then sell those two and buy one of the rarer pistols, such as a Haenel 28. Personally, I'd steer clear of the Acvoke, I had one for a while and, to be honest didn't rate it as an enjoyable pistol. Tin hat on for that one
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.