Thread: open sight help.

open sight help.

I bought a airsporter about 5 years ago from here and had a play with it and put it away as I couldn't find a pellet that I was happy with, recently I tried a box of defiant vintage which are great so I decided to add some interest learn to shoot with the open sights better so I removed the scope. I tried zeroing at 10yrds just to dial it in close but with fully left and down on the rear sight it's still shooting about 2 inch high and right. So I'll ask the experts if they know of any possible cause/cure?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bowkett tuned BSA R10 .177 BSA Ultra SE .22
    SFS Imp .22 HW98 .20 HW98 .22 HW99s .22
    Wonky tuned HW80 .22 Wonky tuned HW77 .177 SFS tuned BSA Goldstar .22

You don't say which 'mk' of Airsporter it is......this will determine your answer.
    If it is a mk1 or mk2 then you can buy taller front sight blades.
    If a late mk5 or 6 the front sight blade can be raised in its ramp. If the latter....slacken the screw that fixes the front sight to the barrel and pull up on the actual foresight blade. Once you have raised it tighten the screw and re test.
    You can raise or lower the blade until you have the correct result.
    If it shoots high you need a taller front sight or raise the blade if it is a later model.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    You don't say which 'mk' of Airsporter it is......this will determine your answer.
    If it is a mk1 or mk2 then you can buy taller front sight blades.
    If a late mk5 or 6 the front sight blade can be raised in its ramp. If the latter....slacken the screw that fixes the front sight to the barrel and pull up on the actual foresight blade. Once you have raised it tighten the screw and re test.
    You can raise or lower the blade until you have the correct result.
    If it shoots high you need a taller front sight or raise the blade if it is a later model.
    Pete.
    sound advice Pete, just about to post same, respect.

Not totally sure at the moment, I have just looked up the original advert from when I bought it stating that the serial number beginning with CL or GL so I'm thinking a mk6, I'll have a look tomorrow but I can't see how the foresight could be raised in the ramp because it is pinned. Thanks for your help so far.

edbear2 Guest
    Apart from Pete's excellent answer, if it IS a later one and has a rear sight like this;

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_...in-fitting.jpg

Or even worse a similar looking unit but with a big cut out halfway down underneath, then have a good look for hairline cracks in the unit. They are prone to cracking if over adjusted and can give problems like you describe.

I am not 100% sure when they changed the design, maybe Mk5 onwards for the slightly better unit mentioned first.

I have never seen a ''pinned'' front sight, MK's 1-2 were either dovetail (early) or had inserts in the foresight ramp held with a grub screw from the side of the ramp.

After that they were either a plastic or Al (on the S models) ramp, with a reversable insert held by a screw.

May be wrong as I mostly like the earlier ones so have not had many marks 3-7 in my possession over the years.

HTH,

ATB, Ed

Hi All, I have a mk2 that used to shoot high and the problem was eventually found to be a bent barrel. the bend was situated just infront of the rear sight and with a bit of gentle persuation in the vice the barrel was "adjusted" to allow the rifle sights to send the pellet in the right direction. Regards Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Apart from Pete's excellent answer, if it IS a later one and has a rear sight like this;

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_...in-fitting.jpg

Or even worse a similar looking unit but with a big cut out halfway down underneath, then have a good look for hairline cracks in the unit. They are prone to cracking if over adjusted and can give problems like you describe.

I am not 100% sure when they changed the design, maybe Mk5 onwards for the slightly better unit mentioned first.

I have never seen a ''pinned'' front sight, MK's 1-2 were either dovetail (early) or had inserts in the foresight ramp held with a grub screw from the side of the ramp.

After that they were either a plastic or Al (on the S models) ramp, with a reversable insert held by a screw.

May be wrong as I mostly like the earlier ones so have not had many marks 3-7 in my possession over the years.

HTH,

ATB, Ed
    Yes that's the one (first one) the front sight is not like either, I will post a photo once I have some daylight but it won't be until the weekend. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by robstat View Post
    I bought a airsporter about 5 years ago from here and had a play with it and put it away as I couldn't find a pellet that I was happy with, recently I tried a box of defiant vintage which are great so I decided to add some interest learn to shoot with the open sights better so I removed the scope. I tried zeroing at 10yrds just to dial it in close but with fully left and down on the rear sight it's still shooting about 2 inch high and right. So I'll ask the experts if they know of any possible cause/cure?
    Thanks in advance.
    try removing & re-fitting the rearsight, if it isn't correctly fitted it can cause this problem.