Thread: Scope Info Please

JCTH1 Guest

Scope Info Please

After competing in my first HFT comp im now starting to realised what i want from my trusty falcon. On top at the moment is a BSA Contender 4-16*50. For hunting this seems ok and im happy with it.

In 2 weeks ill be collecting a Webley Zero Option which will sit on my S10, again thats 4-16*50.

When at the shoot i noticed alot of people especially the big names were using scopes with objective lenses arond the 40 mark.

Im also aware that one of the scopes i saw was pete sparkes and he told me how much it cost so im aware of the price/quality difference between my Contender and his scope.

My question is whats the general advantages/disadvantages between say a 44mm and a 50/56mm objective lense.

Also what do people use for Hunting and HFT?

jcth1
    Last edited by JCTH1; 03-07-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Can't spell for ****

Bit of a tricky one this. It all depends on the user, IMHO.

For instance, for hunting I use my AA 410k with a SWAT 4-16x56 and its never let me down. For FT I used the same scope on a Daystate X2s and it does well enough (although I intend to fettle it a bit more before my first winter league) and only last week I used the same rig for a HFT course at my club.

I got away with using it and got a decent score. Only difference was, I left it at fixed 12x mag (I later found out I would have been better off using it at 8x instead) at 35 yards zero. In my honest opinion, some people tend to go OTT with following the crowd. I think people should go with whatever they feel is right for them. Afterall, that's whats matters the most.

I've seen some guys with great kit who can't shoot for **** and other guys with really basic kit who can't miss.

Gary C Guest
    Hi John

It was nice to meet you at mendip. The higher the Obj the more light but the poorer the depth of field. HFT light is not TOO critical (unless you are a total dork and shoot in shades) and so a smaller objectives is desirable to be able to see 8 to 45 yards.

I prefer x9 but as you dont get sniper scopes in x9, and fixed is simple and foolproof, I go x10

JCTH1 Guest
    ok thanks for the replys guys (Gary C theres a PM waiting for you) im good on the light bit coz i went from a 40mm scope to 50 so i could use it in poorer light conditions.

what does this depth of view thing mean... would i need to be shown rather than told to understand???? lol

jcth1

depth of field

Depth of field means the distance in which the target is in focus. If you move your focus ring on your scope to bring the target into focus at say 20 mtrs and the foliag is in focus at 10 and 30 mtrs you have a good depth of field.
    If its only in focus for a metre or so in front and behind you have poor depth of field.

Light gathering is also about quality of optics and scope body dimension as well as objective lense size.