Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advice

Gents,
    Many thanks for your comments and other info.

Regards
    Lansdown (Bob)

I thought the chap on the GBO Forum talking about using .577 bullets was interesting although there was plenty of disagreement on the subject.

Lymn does one mould but Rapine seem to do several. Presumably you would have to start swabbing out between shots and even so, there would seem to be a good chance of getting one stuck half way down the barrel.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I thought the chap on the GBO Forum talking about using .577 bullets was interesting although there was plenty of disagreement on the subject.

Lymn does one mould but Rapine seem to do several. Presumably you would have to start swabbing out between shots and even so, there would seem to be a good chance of getting one stuck half way down the barrel.

Steve.
    a. I've been shooting a P-H .58cal Musketoon since around 1974 and never had a bullet stuck down the barrel. Or up the barrel. Or anywhere in the barrel.

b. I swab after maybe 15 -20 shots - that's all.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    a. I've been shooting a P-H .58cal Musketoon since around 1974 and never had a bullet stuck down the barrel. Or up the barrel. Or anywhere in the barrel.

tac
    I agree.

If the bullets are jamming or getting hard to load after 5-6 shots then it is time to change the bullet lube because it is not doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lansdown View Post
    Well,

Accuracy was, though, definitely an issue (probably me as much as anything else) - they all shot high at least 6 to 8” above point of aim at about 40 yds. To the extent that most initially missed the target I had until I changed my point of aim. From the ones that did hit the target there was no evidence of bullet tumble, just nice clean round holes in the paper target.

I have had a quick look, but have not yet found any sort of ballistic info on minie’s so does anyone one have any rough idea what sort of drop I could expect from a minie between 40 and 100yds? (hopefully that makes sense).

Again thanks to those who sent me some samples – it’s a great firearm I just need to get to know it a lot better, which I am looking forward to!!!

Lansdown (Bob)
    As a benchmark you might be interested to know that a trained marksman could consistently hit a 4" circle at 200 yards.

I'm still trying to do that at 100 yards.

One things for sure my eyesight is not good enough for that degree of accuracy!!!! At least not without telescopic sights and a guide dog!!!!

I was thinking about bullet drop the other day and carried out some measurements on my 2 band. I measured the height of the sights front and rear compared to the bore of the rifle I then calculated the built in drop that the sights provide over 40 and 100 yds.
    Interestingly it was about 10" at 40 yds and 25" at 100 yds. Obviously measuring with a vernier and assuming the bore is completely central to the outer of the barrel is not an exact science so the actual measurements should be treated with a bit of caution, but it was interesting nether the less.

Regards
    Lansdown (Bob)

In case of my post being read by the anally-retentive, I have not shot my Musketoon CONTINUOUSLY since 1974, only at the range. Just so's you know.

tac

In case of my post being read by the anally-retentive, I have not shot my Musketoon CONTINUOUSLY since 1974, only at the range. Just so's you know.

tac
    EH?

What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    EH?

What do you mean?
    Last time I posted a similar subject, noting that I've been shooting blah-blah-blah since 1986, I got a PM asking me if I really did shoot it every day as that was how he read the post.

So I thought I'd pre-empt it.

There are some rather odd people here, if you look in the cracks...

tac

tac
    Yes, but is that with a .577 bullet or a .575?

I've never had any problem with 575 and no need to swab ever, but it was the 577 bullets advocated on the other forum that I was interested in.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Yes, but is that with a .577 bullet or a .575?

I've never had any problem with 575 and no need to swab ever, but it was the 577 bullets advocated on the other forum that I was interested in.

Steve.
    That's with the .575" Lyman bullet. The .577" bullet won't go in the muzzle of my Musktoon.

Ideally, as I'm sure you know already, the Minié bullet should be between 1 and 2 thou smaller than the muzzle diameter to be sure of

a. loading easily.

b. obturating correctly with the correct load.

Apologies if you already know all this stuff.

tac

Yes, thanks. As you say, I know all that stuff which is why I found the post on using a .577 bullet all the more interesting. Maybe the guy has a .58 rather than a .577 perhaps.

Steve.