Thread: Webley Mk3 (serial 9350) - Piston Washer Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Mk3 (serial 9350) - Piston Washer Advice

My Dad's bought from new. I know from the Webley site that these were made 1947-71, so it must need a new washer by now! Surely?

Does anyone have a better suggestion for a replacement washer than:
    http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...EY/Webley-Mk3/

They show a leather washer for £15, but does anyone make anything more modern and durable than just 'leather' for this gun?
    I realise its not a modern air gun in performance terms, but it would be great to make it as good as it can be.

cheers
    R

Leather washers are surprisingly good at the job, don't be surprised if it's still OK even after a long career. Back in my lathe days I made an 'O' ring head for a mates HW35 & there wasn't a great deal of difference from the leather original, then he put an Ox spring in it, the less said about that the better.

One thing, £15 is a bit eye watering for a replacement washer, it actually gets a whole new piston head, in practise they are easy to make for a few pence. Item no. 191219758842 on the 'Bay for £3.50 as example gets more than enough raw material.

The Webley mk3 being a tap loader does not suit a modern synthetic seal at all. If fitted it would be horrible to shoot...slammy and harsh. Don't do it.
    The standard leather seal,if correctly sized and lubricated will give many years of sterling service. If the gun needs one, get the unit from John Knibbs. I speak from over 35 years experience in airgun repair and ownership.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    The Webley mk3 being a tap loader does not suit a modern synthetic seal at all. If fitted it would be horrible to shoot...slammy and harsh. Don't do it.
    The standard leather seal,if correctly sized and lubricated will give many years of sterling service. If the gun needs one, get the unit from John Knibbs. I speak from over 35 years experience in airgun repair and ownership.
    Pete.
    Can i ask which lubricant do you suggest for the washer?

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Can i ask which lubricant do you suggest for the washer?
    The very best treatment for the leather washer is Neetsfoot Oil, available from most good horse/ riding supply outlets. But you can get away with modern oils if you have to. The main thing is that the new washer as supplied will be oversize and too tight to enter the cylinder. You will need to CAREFULLY reduce the diameter slightly using a bench grinder or belt sander. A hand file will also work but take longer. Only when you have got the seal ( must be fitted to the piston) to a nice sliding fit ( with some friction) should you then remove the seal and soak it overnight in neetsfoot oil, then re fit.
    The problem with leather piston seals is that if the gun lies unused for a long while the leather dries out and the pressure of the mainspring and piston causes it to stick to the cylinder wall. If this happens, the next time the rifle is cocked the outer lips of the seal remain bonded to the cylinder wall. The gun will fire but with insufficent power to propel the pellet.
    Pete.

Some very good info on this thread for a new mark 111 owner, and some very knowlegable gun owners too, thanks for your input fellas.

Many thanks. Sound advice. A friend borrowed my new chrono, but will try it out to see what she's pumping out later this evening. Never occurred to me that after all this time it might still be 'good'.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Many thanks. Sound advice. A friend borrowed my new chrono, but will try it out to see what she's pumping out later this evening. Never occurred to me that after all this time it might still be 'good'.
    just put it thru the Chrono (Combro CB-625). Definitely needs a new washer......

One of my mk3's which I have owned since 1959 was fitted with a new leather washer by me in the same year (when I was quite young ) and still shoots as well now with that same washer as it did 55 years ago although the rifle did not have a great deal of use for 25 years or so when it was stored. It is important that the washer is not allowed to dry out so you need to keep it oiled especially when stored, unused for very long periods. I would NOT be tempted to go along the synthetic washer route.
    Aubrey