Thread: Colt 1911 A1 government co2 pistol... help please!!

Colt 1911 A1 government co2 pistol... help please!!

I bought a brand new one of these last week from the countryman of Derby and straight away I noticed a fault, I have been back to the shop but they are worse than useless ( especially the Poe faced bitch who works there )

The problem is that I put a new co2 canister in and it will fire once ok, but on repeated shots the power drops rapidly and by the 4th shot the gun is just clicking and is not producing enough gas to fire a pellet. However if you then wait a few seconds you can then fire a couple of shots, and again you have to wait a few seconds.
    They tried to tell me I was using the wrong pellets!! But I am using the same pellets in my other 1911 (dark ops) and my cp99 with no issues. I have tried bisley practice, rws hobby and also Geco, all flat head.
    Basically the shop is run by idiots with no customer service skills at all and are not prepared to exchange it or do a refund.

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Ps. The co2 is not leaking around its seal

Seen similar threads to this before, whereby the co bulb had not been fully pierced (maybe due to make of bulb).

Check that the pierce hole in the bulb is a good size. Try another make of bulb if you have one. If this is not the issue, give the shop a second chance, hopefully they will offer to test it for you.

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    More likey the valve is a tad sticky, do you fancy stripping it? Lots of party popper 'ping' moments.
    Look at old co2 caplets, do they have a pen-knib sized hole punched in the top? I'd've thought gas is under so much pressure that the tiniest of holes would let enough gas through.
    Toilet trained since March

Quote Originally Posted by Rayee View Post
    More likey the valve is a tad sticky, do you fancy stripping it? Lots of party popper 'ping' moments.
    Look at old co2 caplets, do they have a pen-knib sized hole punched in the top? I'd've thought gas is under so much pressure that the tiniest of holes would let enough gas through.
    The above assumtion is incorrect.
    Aimstraight is correct. It does sound as though your bulb is not fully pierced. Carefully release the grip lever to dump the remaining gas then remove the bulb and have a look at the hole in the neck. If there is not a clear punched hole then that is your problem. This is not uncommon on a new gun as the bulb seal is still quite thick, but will squash down with use. When you insert your next bulb screw the brass nut up quite tight before closing the grip lever to pierce it. Also, I have noticed of late that Crosman branded bulbs do not pierce very well in Umarex guns. My advise would be to try Umarex bulbs in your Colt.
    Pete.

Seconded.
    I have had this on new guns.
    I also have some guns that only work with a particular capsule brand.
    There are differences in length,caps and shoulders.

My problem is remembering which goes with what gun.
    Must get a notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    The above assumtion is incorrect.
    Aimstraight is correct. It does sound as though your bulb is not fully pierced. Carefully release the grip lever to dump the remaining gas then remove the bulb and have a look at the hole in the neck. If there is not a clear punched hole then that is your problem. This is not uncommon on a new gun as the bulb seal is still quite thick, but will squash down with use. When you insert your next bulb screw the brass nut up quite tight before closing the grip lever to pierce it. Also, I have noticed of late that Crosman branded bulbs do not pierce very well in Umarex guns. My advise would be to try Umarex bulbs in your Colt.
    Pete.
    Certainly not in the 1911. Umarex bulbs work fine in it though. The only Umarexes that seem to prefer Crosman in my experience are the PX4 and the CP99. The S&W seems to be un-fussed either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Seen similar threads to this before, whereby the co bulb had not been fully pierced (maybe due to make of bulb).
    Ive seen this a lot lately, with all makes of bulb, some have come to the conclusion that the main seal is too thick preventing the bulb from been pierced fully, I've also noticed how blunt most of the piercing parts are
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    I've had a couple of pistols that don't get on with certain co2 capsules. I've even filed away part of the pistol frame to make way for higher/bigger shoulders of gas capsules.
    Toilet trained since March

Thanks guys for all the info, I will have a play about and report back

Thanks for the pointers guys,

It would appear that the problem was with the co2 capsules, the capsules I was using were bought from The countryman and are sold loose. They are cheap but are Umarex branded, I went to another dealer yesterday and bought a box of umarex co2 and they work fine. I compared the capsules and the loose ones from the shop where I got the gun from are different around the neck, so I assume they are sold on cheap as they are imperfect.......The shop tried to say they sell them cheaper because there is no packaging but the fact is they don't work in my 1911 whereas the boxed ones do !!

The countryman do have a nice shop, a good display area with plenty of choice and stock.......But their customer service skills and after sales is by far the worst I have known from any dealer.

Glad you got it sorted and it was a cost and hassle free solution. I tend to buy bulk umarex bulbs from JSR- they come in a bag rather than a box but are the "real deal" and work fine. They have to go by courier, but I've always had next day delivery without a problem Enjoy your new 1911!