Thread: Silicone oil

Question Silicone oil

Hello all can anyone help solve a problem i have with regards to silicone oil, is the silicone oil that is PELLGUN oil that you use on the co2 gun caplets the same silicone oil used for the lubrication of treadmills "etc",or is it different, this is the only oil i can find and i wish to use it on o"rings when rebuilding pistons "etc". Regards SPROAT

Firstly, Pellgunoil is not silicone. I believe it is a synthetic oil similar to motorcycle fork oil, although there may be some silicone in it.
    I know nothing about treadmills other than the clips from 'You've Been Framed'...!
    Regarding 'o' rings , it is ok to use silicone on o rings but.....silicone is very bad between moving metal surfaces. So providing the silicone oil does not come into contact with metal to metal you are ok.
    Personally, from what you have said I would use a 20w or 30w fork oil in your application, as it is perfectly safe on rubber,synthetic and metal to metal surfaces.
    Oh, and a half litre tin of fork oil will fill about 500 pellgun oil tubes.....very cost effective.
    Pete.

Do not use silicon oil on metal to metal surfaces as silicon aids friction welding, by all means use it on o rings but don't get it between moving metal parts
    http://www.magic9designltd.com/product-prices
    The molly silicon grease is made for piston seals
    Last edited by airgunnut; 17-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Motorcycle fork oil

What you want is an oil designed to work with hydraulics. The best is, according to MAC-1, that which is used for the front forks of motorcycles. As I recall, they suggest the heaviest weight which is a special order when I tried to get some. The key thing is that it is designed to work with the rubber parts. Something any high quality hydraulic oil would be capable of.

The other issue is gumming up over time. I suspect it is that quality which is why the fork oil is best.

Red face

Just use regular ATF from any motor factors,
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Just use regular ATF from any motor factors,
    There's no such thing as 'regular' atf actually. There are several types of atf and each type is designed to work with a particular manufacturers seals. It will state on the bottle that if used with a different gearbox than designed for it CAN damage the seals.
    I would go with motorcycle fork oil as stated previously.
    Pete.

Thumbs up silicone oil

Many thanks to all the contributers of this thread,veryvery helpful and imformative Regards Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    What you want is an oil designed to work with hydraulics. The best is, according to MAC-1, that which is used for the front forks of motorcycles. As I recall, they suggest the heaviest weight which is a special order when I tried to get some. The key thing is that it is designed to work with the rubber parts. Something any high quality hydraulic oil would be capable of.

The other issue is gumming up over time. I suspect it is that quality which is why the fork oil is best.
    considering the op has posted his query about oil in an airgun thread its safe to assume he is wanting it to lube an airgun piston so wouldn't it be sensible to get a lube designed for the job instead of could do the job, besides hydraulic oil is designed to work in a closed airless system, no air = no combustion, air gun pistons compress air, when compressing air enough heat is generated to ignite oil and grease in the presence of oxygen (my hw 45 was dieselling until i stopped using a well known brand of oil based pellet lube) if hydraulic oil is used in an airgun, if said oil detonates when the gun is fired if could damage the piston and brake the spring, leaving you with a repair bill, you will have no claim from the company that makes the hydraulic oil, but if you use a oil designed for air guns and it diesels/detonates and damages the gun then you do have a claim
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    There's no such thing as 'regular' atf actually. There are several types of atf and each type is designed to work with a particular manufacturers seals. It will state on the bottle that if used with a different gearbox than designed for it CAN damage the seals.
    I would go with motorcycle fork oil as stated previously.
    Pete.
    Hi Pete.

Well, my Landy's have survived pretty well on a very standard drop of ATF from the local motor factors, never asked for any type as far as the Landy is concerned it's just plain good old standard ATF, always has been. Now your modern hi tech Aldi, Beemer etc might like something a bit special but for lubing a little rubber, nitrile or whatever seal it works A1. It's what we've always used and recommended on the Mak forum both for seals and the neck of the Co2 bulb every other change. I'd be very surprised if Pellegun oil is some special formula...

Anyway, it's a huge old chestnut, people can see what they think Google for: Monolec GFS sae30 atf = pellgun oil
    Last edited by felix gunner; 18-01-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Co2

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    considering the op has posted his query about oil in an airgun thread its safe to assume he is wanting it to lube an airgun piston so wouldn't it be sensible to get a lube designed for the job instead of could do the job, besides hydraulic oil is designed to work in a closed airless system, no air = no combustion, air gun pistons compress air, when compressing air enough heat is generated to ignite oil and grease in the presence of oxygen (my hw 45 was dieselling until i stopped using a well known brand of oil based pellet lube) if hydraulic oil is used in an airgun, if said oil detonates when the gun is fired if could damage the piston and brake the spring, leaving you with a repair bill, you will have no claim from the company that makes the hydraulic oil, but if you use a oil designed for air guns and it diesels/detonates and damages the gun then you do have a claim
    OP expressly stated that this was for a CO2 gun. No pistons in a CO2 gun. What kills the seals in a CO2 and pneumatic guns is the wrong type of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    OP expressly stated that this was for a CO2 gun. No pistons in a CO2 gun. What kills the seals in a CO2 and pneumatic guns is the wrong type of oil.
    no he said "is the silicone oil that is PELLGUN oil that you use on the co2 gun caplets the same silicone oil used for the lubrication of treadmills "etc",or is it different, this is the only oil i can find and i wish to use it on o"rings when rebuilding pistons"

Thumbs up silicone oil

Yes that is correct for co2 gun was told that when a co2 is left for a while the seals dry and cause leaks have never found a way to lubricate,so will try pellgun oil first CHEERS