Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new springers

new springers

Recently there was a post that Air Arms were launching a new springer, which seems to be a nothing more than an upgrade of the very succesfull TX. So when are we going to see something really new from Air Arms Recently got myself a Walther Terrus in .22 with wood stock to go with my LGV Master allso in .22, there really something speccial, so come on Air Arms lets have something new in the springer stakes from you, good has a TX can be its an old design now

Hopfully they lose the 1970's fishscale detailed grip and forend from that wonderful stock on any new springer the come out with!!!

yes with you on that, looks hideous, prefer proper checkering or stippling myself.

Interesting points but given that the TX is already a very successful rifle, what could AA do in producing a 'new rifle' that was enough to make people say it was not just an upgraded TX?
    Stock changes, as suggested above, would be regarded as a change but if the internals were not changed, everyone would simply say it was a 'new edition' rather than a new model. If the innards are tinkered with along the lines of some of the work detailed on these pages ... short stroke / long stroke / bearings (more or different) / piston weight changes etc then some people will still call it a modified TX and not a 'new model' with no interchangeable parts whatsoever.

So what is needed to make it a completely new model? And why should it be so ... the TX is a great rifle already but are sales suffering because of the LGU?
    AA break barrel? Maybe but competition is stiff from Weihrauch and Walther and a few others. Maybe a new, refined, sidelever ... or maybe not as I tend to feel sidelevers are not regarded with much acclaim these days.

Maybe they will surprise us all with a SSP that is easy to charge and available at a good price.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Interesting points but given that the TX is already a very successful rifle, what could AA do in producing a 'new rifle' that was enough to make people say it was not just an upgraded TX?
    Stock changes, as suggested above, would be regarded as a change but if the internals were not changed, everyone would simply say it was a 'new edition' rather than a new model. If the innards are tinkered with along the lines of some of the work detailed on these pages ... short stroke / long stroke / bearings (more or different) / piston weight changes etc then some people will still call it a modified TX and not a 'new model' with no interchangeable parts whatsoever.

So what is needed to make it a completely new model? And why should it be so ... the TX is a great rifle already but are sales suffering because of the LGU?
    AA break barrel? Maybe but competition is stiff from Weihrauch and Walther and a few others. Maybe a new, refined, sidelever ... or maybe not as I tend to feel sidelevers are not regarded with much acclaim these days.

Maybe they will surprise us all with a SSP that is easy to charge and available at a good price.

Cheers, Phil
    A new break barrel would certainly get my attention mate..

Break barrels as we no sell well. A break barrel (ideally lightweight /medium weight) from a well respected company like AA , I'm sure would sell very well, in spite of competition from HW and Walther
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

"good has a TX can be its an old design now"

Maybe but its an old design, that walther copied for good reason.
    Though i think they should respec the TX200 for optimal sub 12fpe, maybe they should do a few mods like the HW97 did over the HW77, a wider loading port on the TX would be nice.

for me if aa widen the loading port on the tx so it is ambi loading,short stroke it,fit it into an ambi target style black pepper or plain black(im easy) stock like the mpr or daystate mk4i stock shape,shorten the full length barrel by an inch and we'd have a springer off the shelf that would do everything ft,hft,hunting etc.ive even thought of a name for it...air arms tx mpr

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
    A new break barrel would certainly get my attention mate..
    agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    "good has a TX can be its an old design now"

Maybe but its an old design, that walther copied for good reason.
    Though i think they should respec the TX200 for optimal sub 12fpe, maybe they should do a few mods like the HW97 did over the HW77, a wider loading port on the TX would be nice.
    Yes it is a very old design, me I would like something new from air arms and a springer not a pcp

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post

Cheers, Phil
    lots of good points Phill and not knocking the TX but it is getting old in the tooth somewhat, has you say HW and Walther are the competition but that dose not mean Air Arms should just hand that sector of the market to the competition. Remember the car and motorbike industry we used to have

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Break barrels as we no sell well. A break barrel (ideally lightweight /medium weight) from a well respected company like AA , I'm sure would sell very well, in spite of competition from HW and Walther
    This would do it for me, a 99 / 30 rival

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    but it is getting old in the tooth somewhat
    You have mentioned this several times now.

So how about justifying that comment, what needs to be changed or what should it be replaced with.

Good design stands the test of time, fundamentally the TX is a very good design, albeit IMO spoilt in the Mk3 variant by a stroke length that isn't optimum for UK use.

As to the competitors, lets look at HW - the HW77 is older than any TX, yet is still made and sells well, the 97K has been around for a while as well, the HW99S is just a reworked HW50S - a design that has been around some time, not to mention the OAP that is the HW35, yet still a good enough seller to be in production.

Good design is not only restricted to airguns, consider the 1911 pattern pistol - designed in the first decade of the 20th Century yet still in production and popular, also think Remington 700, Ruger 10-22......

It is too easy to produce some tat to satisfy the shallow whims of the style conscious, but quality endures.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

" is getting old in the tooth somewhat"

depends on what you thinks getting old as the TX was designed on the HW77 and the new Walther LGU was a copy of the TX.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    You have mentioned this several times now.

So how about justifying that comment, what needs to be changed or what should it be replaced with.

Good design stands the test of time, fundamentally the TX is a very good design, albeit IMO spoilt in the Mk3 variant by a stroke length that isn't optimum for UK use.

As to the competitors, lets look at HW - the HW77 is older than any TX, yet is still made and sells well, the 97K has been around for a while as well, the HW99S is just a reworked HW50S - a design that has been around some time, not to mention the OAP that is the HW35, yet still a good enough seller to be in production.

Good design is not only restricted to airguns, consider the 1911 pattern pistol - designed in the first decade of the 20th Century yet still in production and popular, also think Remington 700, Ruger 10-22......

It is too easy to produce some tat to satisfy the shallow whims of the style conscious, but quality endures.
    What could be changed, well evreything if its new whats so contrivershall about that, bored with an old- said again design. my personal view, and yes have owned them afore you all ask.