Thread: reloading LBR in .357

Question reloading LBR in .357

reload 5 calibres for gallery rifle, now trying a Long barrel Taurus revolver , use both .38 Special and .357 magnum, the question is do I still crimp ?
    have to crimp for my lever actions as they are tube magazines but do I need to crimp in a revolver seeing as a crimp will raise the pressure. cheers Tezz

I reload .357 Mag for rifle and LBR and I've always used a 'light' crimp for both (just using the standard Lee '3-die set' bullet seating die), simply because that's how I was shown when I started
    ....I know others in my club with LBRs who don't crimp at all, and I'm not aware that it makes much difference either way (we're only using light loads for 25m).

Sorry, I've realised this is probably no help at all - hopefully someone else will give you a proper answer, lol

357 crimping

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post
    I reload .357 Mag for rifle and LBR and I've always used a 'light' crimp for both (just using the standard Lee '3-die set' bullet seating die), simply because that's how I was shown when I started
    ....I know others in my club with LBRs who don't crimp at all, and I'm not aware that it makes much difference either way (we're only using light loads for 25m).

Sorry, I've realised this is probably no help at all - hopefully someone else will give you a proper answer, lol
    cheers Rob, yes it is a help just wondered what others do, I am crimping at the minute as I do in my rifle just wondered if its the same in a revolver

158gr FN, 6.5gr Unique, no crimp.

Since 1968.

Works for me in my Super Redhawk.

tac

It would be advisable to crimp as it stops the bullet moving/creeping under recoil.
    This can be a problem if the bullet moves outwards and could cause the cylinder to jam or vice versa if the bullet moves backwards then higher pressures can be caused.
    Back in the day when pistols ere 'legal' most if not all crimped (taper or roll) their loads .

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Interesting point. I use a very light crimp, but if I am honest there is no reason other than that's what I have always done. I expect the crimp will affect pressures and probably velocities.

I load for both U/L and LBR, and apart from the powder charge, I keep everything else the same as this is less faffing to set up dies.

Why would you not crimp? It doesn't save any time. I suppose it might increase case life a little, but I get around 10 reloads out of a case and I have a lifetime supply of scrounged cases so I am not looking for ultimate case life.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    never crimped in either my ruger .357 or my marlin and no issue or ill effect yet

having said that the bullets have always beena firm fit in the case mouth anyway
    Gun control means using both hands.

The only time I ever crimped a 357 was for very hot loads in my Ruger security six revolver for long range pistol (300yards) That was only to stop the chamber acting as an inertial bullet puller for the unfired rounds. In light target loads in both revolver and u/l I just flatten the bell mouth caused by the flaring die.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi