Thread: Webley MK 1 pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I know there was a thread about how vintage airguns smell and i'm sure someone said it was SAE30 that gave them that beautiful vintage odour but I got a gallon of SAE30 and it's not the same!!

I also heard people saying how lurvely the Ballistol product smells!!- I bought some and it's not the same either!!

I recently bought an old HW35 and it reeks this gorgeous smell, It's so nice that I daren't do anything to it so the smell stays!!

It's been polished at some stage so I thought it would be easy to just give it a last shine and send it for reblueing but I can't bring myselt to in case I can't get that odour back!!

Does it make me sound pervy??

John
    There was a particular smell I always associated with my dad's shotguns, which I could never find when I got my own guns and cleaning gear. He used to have a (very) rusty tin of the stuff which he'd had for years and years and he couldn't remember what it was. Years later I was kindly given a tin of Rangoon oil from an old gent who'd been shooting 60+ years and had always used the stuff.

Now, if only I could find out the origins of the sickly sweet aroma of the pipe tobacco granddad smoked...

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    There was a particular smell I always associated with my dad's shotguns, which I could never find when I got my own guns and cleaning gear. He used to have a (very) rusty tin of the stuff which he'd had for years and years and he couldn't remember what it was. Years later I was kindly given a tin of Rangoon oil from an old gent who'd been shooting 60+ years and had always used the stuff.

Now, if only I could find out the origins of the sickly sweet aroma of the pipe tobacco granddad smoked...
    Do you smoke a pipe?, if so you can get all the old traditional pipe tobacco from THE BLACK SWAN BACCY SHOP IN SCARBOURGH, it's all there, plug, ready rubbed. If you don't smoke you will probably smell it by chance and start following some oldie along the street " excuse me sir what's that tobacco your smoking"
    It's funny that when I smell pipe smoke the first thought is of my grandad, I know exactly what you mean