Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley service

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    Micky, shotgun case? Really? How can I identify this?
    Jochen
    Hi Jochen if you look there are 2 round containers which are for snapcaps, which are for shotguns, which they use them for practice instead of live cartridges. you see quite a few of these cases which have been used to keep Services in but they are not original Webley ones, l have used some of these to convert to house some of my Services, hope this helps.

As John says above, the cases sold by Webley, as shown in Chris's book, have space for one barrel only. Various case makers of the period would have constructed cases for 3 barrel sets to order, and some may have official Webley labels of the period in their lids, if approved by Webley, but many that come up for sale nowadays are converted shotgun cases, some better than others.
    My own leather cased set with 3 barrels - as shown in my sig. site - probably dates from the period, but it would appear that 2 of the barrels may not be original Webley, even though they are numbered to the action and calibre stamped with both wording and lettering in the same font, although one is calibre stamped on the underside instead of the side of the barrel. I have several un-numbered original Webley barrels, so will have to see if I can complete the set correctly, after which time it will be offered for sale.
    I have several two barrelled cased sets in converted shotgun cases, which are very presentable.
    The Mk.II Webley Service is one of my favourite air rifles of all time, which is why I have accumulated a few over my years of collecting.

aimless Guest
    Thanks, Micky. I am learning every day

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Interesting thoughts Sam. Bearing in mind un-numbered Webley barrels could be bought new during the late 1930s, it may be possible for one barrel to be marked to an action, which is accompanied by 2 un-numbered barrels. This would still be correct of course. I recall seeing pics of original 'tiered' Webley cases in old Guns Review issues, which were 3 barrelled sets, so I'd like to think some exist. I'd like to examine such a set though.

For those after an example, there may be some coming up for auction this year. See the forthcoming issue of Airgun World for a taster.

John
    Hello John,

You are correct of course on the extra barrels that could be purchased at the time.
    I was referring to a three barrelled gun bought with the extra barrels at the same time , from Webley.
    I have had one other Service with three barrels , but sold it a while back.
    The one I have now is all original , but is what you could call a composed set.
    I started with a 0.25 Service which has all original finish and bought the extra barrels as they came up.
    As I said earlier , it was difficult to find a decent Brady case.
    Being a bit of a perfectioist , the only thing missing is an original Webley label.

Sam

back on the subject of Mark2 for sale.....

don't know how to point to another thread.... so just copied this bit:

Webley mk2 & BSA 'WW1' underlever (both boxed!) spotted in auction jan 30th
    Just spotted these so thought i'd point it out to any wanting to give a rather lovely item a new loving home.....
    These two lots follow one after the other in Redruth/Cornwall Jan 30th.

1. Lot 799 - Webley described as:
    A rare Webley Mark II .22 service air rifle, patent No. 371548 in associated wooden fitted case with accessories

link to auction site is:
    http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...1-a42500f4900b

2. Lot 798 - BSA described as:
    A First War BSA .22 underlever air rifle with chequered walnut straight stock No. S76452 (circa 1914-17) in associated wooden fitted case with accessories

link to auction site is:
    http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...5-a42500f49007

- - - - - - -

By the looks of it the auction house selling does not do live/internet auctions, so you will need to either register an absentee bid, or book a phone to bid on the day

How very 'international jetset' of you!

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    don't know how to point to another thread.... so just copied this bit:

Webley mk2 & BSA 'WW1' underlever (both boxed!) spotted in auction jan 30th
    Just spotted these so thought i'd point it out to any wanting to give a rather lovely item a new loving home.....
    These two lots follow one after the other in Redruth/Cornwall Jan 30th.

1. Lot 799 - Webley described as:
    A rare Webley Mark II .22 service air rifle, patent No. 371548 in associated wooden fitted case with accessories

link to auction site is:

2. Lot 798 - BSA described as:
    A First War BSA .22 underlever air rifle with chequered walnut straight stock No. S76452 (circa 1914-17) in associated wooden fitted case with accessories

link to auction site is:
    http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...5-a42500f49007

- - - - - - -

By the looks of it the auction house selling does not do live/internet auctions, so you will need to either register an absentee bid, or book a phone to bid on the day

How very 'international jetset' of you!
    Thank you chieffool,
    Both of these rifles were subject of another thread a week or so ago and I think the consensus was both cases were probably made by the same hobbyist. The orange catalogue with the Webley is a later post war addition, as are the pellets.

Cased sets seem to attract a lot of interest, irrespective of when they were put together. It's possibly because the Service can be disassembled into a very compact package and looks good in a case!

John

many thanks for the info.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Can you (Sam and other owners) post some pics, hi res close ups if poss?
    Here's some

Last edited by deejayuu; 27-01-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Hi mate

They are really nice original examples.

Bet they shoot well also

Dave

Link

Gents, don't know if the =is is the same link as above but have a look here ...
    https://www.walnut.black

this is the same as post #20, and #21 (see above).

Thanks to those who posted pics, lovely.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Red face

I typed out a big reply with pics from my photobucket but I keep getting a recurring virus or something through photobucket which locks my computer! All I can do is turn the computer off and lose everything I put in the reply!!

Gawd I hate photobucket!! I had this with my last computer and thought it would have disappeared with a new maxchine but unfortunately hasn't

I think i'm going to have to close my Photobucket account as it drives me up the wall!!

My lad put an ad blocker on for me and that stopped it happening but it ran out yeaterday and I'd forgotten about thje world of angst when it took over the machine!!

Need to download another ad blocker I suppose but as i'm a proper thicky with comp's i'll get my lad to do it!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Sorry to hear that John, I've used Photobucket for many years now and also IE - it was without fail a shonky as hell combination, however, I switched to Chrome 6 months ago (how I wish I'd switched years back) and it works super slick now. Not saying it will solve the virus issue but you never know.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle