Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supported Air Pistol Shooting

Supported Air Pistol Shooting

I have been watching with interest the German progress with their new Supported Air Pistol class of match target shooting for Senior's over the age of 56 years since 2011 when it really got going.

For those that have not seen it or heard of it before the pistol is supported by balancing the base of the grip on a cross tube of about one inch diameter ( imagine the "T" handle on the top of a garden spade). Grips can be adopted or bought from grip makers such as RINK to give a flat base to the underside of the grip. This allows the pistol to roll freely over the tube and so it still needs to be controlled by the shooter.

This completely holds the weight of the pistol but does very little else to support it so it retains many of the skills of pistol shooting but takes the weight away from those old and tired backs, necks, arms, and shoulders.

When many of us "old-uns" struggle with of age related aches and pains as well as paying (with interest) the price for previous injuries such as damaged necks from Rugby tackles etc that seemed to heal OK all those years ago (but come back with some ferocity in old age to haunt us) we find air pistol shooting a lot more difficult than it used to be - and yet we still love the sport.

This Supported Air Pistol Shooting solution has a lot of appeal for myself and I hope for others who like me who struggle with age related aches and pains that remove our ability to compete with those more fortunate than ourselves who are younger and remain fit and strong enough to hold a target pistol steady with (comparative) ease.

I would like to try and start the ball rolling in the UK so by the time the next MPL postal league starts in July this year we could have a trial class for those (aged over 56 years) that would like to have a go at shooting Senior Supported Air Pistol.

I would be happy to produce a set of rules to invite comment and helpful contributions so that we may develop them into a workable and practical set of provisional rules to cover the equipment permitted and the way it could be used here in the UK at home and in the club ranges.

Maybe in due course we can start to catch the Senior German shooters who appear to be having all of the fun with Supported Air Pistol Shooting at the moment - or maybe us "older folk" should just do our own thing and enjoy it here in the UK before "Father Time" takes it away from us completely and forever
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Even ex Russian, and German Olympians are taking it very seriously and are back competing again against each other. The sad thing is that I'm even old enough to qualify, even though I think I feel 26!!!

Best cheers
    George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Even ex Russian, and German Olympians are taking it very seriously and are back competing again against each other. The sad thing is that I'm even old enough to qualify, even though I think I feel 26!!!

Best cheers
    George

Lets give it a try George - RINK even make a fitment for your K12 - it must a "sign"......

As a 73 year old a/p shooter I would be very interested in this, any idea what the support looks like.
    Peter

Zooma I get enough "signs" in my life and have learned to shut my eyes!!

As to supported air pistol in Germany it is very popular and is simple. The "rest" is a "T" shape like the top of an old shovel and the rest is round possibly 25 - 30mm in dia. This T is adjustable for height and the T faces across the shooting lane, the athlete's stance is 90 degrees to the lane. In Germany the pistols are brought up to maximum weight and the triggers are lighter. The heel of the grip rests on the round T and you use the pistol in the normal way, the more stable the rest is the better and I've seen them for sale on German websites. As Zooma says there is at least one grip maker making special grips for the discipline, this amounts to a different palm shelf. There is quite a nice four page explanation of supported pistol shooting in the MEC pistol Olympic Sports shooting book, showing the different rests for table top and floor standing.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Supported Pistol

Supported Rifle in Germany is one now one of the biggest growing branches of our sport with all the manufacturers making rifles specifically for it, supported pistol is much newer but I am sure that it will grow as big and we shall soon see manufacturers selling supported versions of their match pistols.
    Last year at Ulm I had the pleasure of discussing shooting with the CEO of Walther who is a keen sport shooter, he said that the "senior" market is the biggest growing branch of the market for them.
    I have seen it shot in Germany at MEC and they encompass and encourage it as one the new branches of our sport and I'm sure you will see supported pistol accesories in their catalogue very shortly.
    I think its a great idea to start it here in the UK, stick to the German rules and we have the basis for a new international class, I commend the idea and even suggest that it be proposed to the NSRA.
    Best of Luck Bob,
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi,

I'd like to have a go at this as I have a back problem which is getting slowly worse. Though I might be a bit young at 54 😃

Regards,

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pig View Post
    As a 73 year old a/p shooter I would be very interested in this, any idea what the support looks like.
    Peter
    The link below gives an idea of the adapted grip, and the T bar rest. I'm guessing the height of the T bar would need to be suited to each person (either adjustable in height or dedicated).

http://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpPfCnt.php?sCI=123

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The link below gives an idea of the adapted grip, and the T bar rest. I'm guessing the height of the T bar would need to be suited to each person (either adjustable in height or dedicated).

http://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpPfCnt.php?sCI=123
    Thanks for this, I could get the grip conversion done for my Walther CPM 1 for about 60 euros, and I am sure I could fabricate a T bar to fit the club blind shooting rifle stands.
    Interesting thread this, many thanks.
    Peter

This ere 'Supported Shooting'.

Are you allowed to open your eyes?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    This ere 'Supported Shooting'.

Are you allowed to open your eyes?
    Why? You don't normally bother ...or follow through either ; you're too eager to use the scope to see the pellet go through the target

You can still use the beer crate to get you high enough to clear the bench I suppose.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

I think its a great idea to start it here in the UK, stick to the German rules and we have the basis for a new international class, I commend the idea and even suggest that it be proposed to the NSRA.
    A bit behind the times. The ball was set rolling last February and there have been items about Supported Air Pistol in the last two editions of The Rifleman. The decision was taken at an early stage not to reinvent the wheel but to use the DSB rules. Obtaining a copy of these proved easier said than done. The intention is to have a demonstration event at the British Airgun Championship and I would hope that the new event and rules for it will be published with the next amendment cycle.

A word of caution to those building stands, there are laid down dimensions for them and specifications for surface finish. There are a number of pistol butt extensions already on the market, including a universal one. For more options search for "auflageplatte für luftpistolen"

A potentially interesting spin-off from Supported Air Pistol is that it may provide a new opportunity for visually impaired shooters to compete directly with sighted shooters. This is already occurring with air rifle but as the VI Target is based upon the pistol target it would be much more straightforward and could be accomplished with paper targets. Air pistols have already been fitted with acoustic sights on a trial basis. An acoustic sight in us (on a rifle) may be seen here.

Rutty

It's good to see this initiative raised in this forum, it has clearly peaked the interest of a number of folk that may not have been aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    A bit behind the times. The ball was set rolling last February and there have been items about Supported Air Pistol in the last two editions of The Rifleman.
    Rutty
    We know we are a bit behind the times - certainly behind the Germans - so lets do some catching up !

I have the last two issues of The Rifleman magazine - I will look again ( with magnifying glass) but apart from the possible future interest from the Disabled Shooting Project (Autumn 2014 and Winter 2014) I did not see anything too informative mentioned.

My guess is that very few people know about the "ball that was set rolling last February" so maybe this "push" on the BBS may be rather more effective in getting people actually doing something about it.

We will test the idea at RMTC next Tuesday night and would like to work to the existing German rules rather than reinventing the wheel....IF and WHEN it is possible to see them !

Does anybody know how to get a copy of these elusive German rules that have been in existence since 2011 - or maybe even earlier ?

If so - do share
    Last edited by zooma; 25-01-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    My guess is that very few people know about this "ball that was set rolling last February" so maybe this "push" on the BBS may be rather more effective in getting people actually doing something about it.

We will test the idea at RMTC next Tuesday night and would like to work to the existing German rules rather than reinventing the wheel....if and when it is possible to see them !

Does anybody know how to get a copy of these elusive German rules that have been in existence since 2010 ?

If so - do share
    People are doing something about it and you can download a copy of the DSB Rules from their website. They are in PDF form. But there is one little problem, the file is in protected format so you cannot even cut and paste it into Google Translate or the like. Even if you do use an online translator you will find that it does't handle the technical language that the document uses. So there is just the small matter of finding a technical linguist to translate and transcribe them. Then you have to redraft the information into a format that is compatible with the NSRA Rules. Following that they will have to be approved by the PAC Committee before going to the Shooting Council.

This "push" you refer to is largely irrelevant, the information has been out there for months, all you had to do was read The Rifleman to find it. If you feel that it should be progressed in a different manner, then why not contact your county NSRA representative?

Finally, it is worth remembering that a great deal of the work associated with supported air pistol has been
    carried out by volunteers. There is very little spare resource available at the NSRA so if you feel that you might be able to help you can contact the chairman of the PAC Committee who I am sure will be pleased to hear from you.
    Rutty