Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supported Air Pistol Shooting

First UK Competition for Supported Air Pistol

In the new MPL 6 yard Postal series we will be including Supported Air Pistol for the very first time.

This competition will run from July to December 2015 will be an ideal opportunity for everyone to knock-up some sort of a rest to comply with the rule's George has already shown here and to take part in the FIRST EVER British competition for this new class.

Any type of legal .177 calibre air pistol can be used and the rest can be a very simple device that can make a simple DIY project.

JG knocked-up a simple stand from a piece of 50mm alloy tube that was fixed to a camera tripod.

I am looking at adapting a cheap Halfords axle stand that can be stood on a table (other brands are available ) to give the correct standing height and I am sure we will see lots of other solutions over the next few weeks.

To give the biggest impact and to promote this new discipline for the first time in the UK we have decided that this will be an equal "opportunities competition" - open to anyone of any age that would like to give it a try.

Please let me know if you are interested intaking part in this fascinating 6 yard competition.
    Last edited by zooma; 15-06-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I was talking to Ian about this this evening Bob. He came up with the idea of using a pole roler that you will have noticed anglers using if you have walked around any lake or canal. We will have to think carefully about producing some stands and of course obtaining or modifying the correct flat type of grip. As an old duffer myself and clearly qualifying for the required "official" age criteria, I can only agree that this sounds like fun to me. Ian and I agreed that the ten metre rifle targets might be better for practice however, although those of us with deteriorating eyesight might struggle a bit! I also own the MEC Olympic pistol shooting book which does explain the principles along with digital images of some "veteran" shooters doing the business.

I look forward to trying this out, I really do!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Im sure we can get summat knocked up at the club to give this a try.

My one concern was with the scoring. Five shots, rested over 10m will (hopefully) punish the 9 and 10 ring. Hence the one shot at the 5 bull targets on 10m rifle card. Just an idea. We shall 'suck-it-&-c'.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The new postal competition at 6 yards is well worth a try too!

The NSRA Air 8 targets are just as hard to hit at 6 yards and will appeal to those that are not able to get to a club but also those that like to try something different - and the old British 6 yard National distance still presents a real challenge.......a chance to get a national ranking... and George makes really nice trophies for the top 3 in each class as well

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I was talking to Ian about this this evening Bob. He came up with the idea of using a pole roler that you will have noticed anglers using if you have walked around any lake or canal. We will have to think carefully about producing some stands and of course obtaining or modifying the correct flat type of grip. As an old duffer myself and clearly qualifying for the required "official" age criteria, I can only agree that this sounds like fun to me. Ian and I agreed that the ten metre rifle targets might be better for practice however, although those of us with deteriorating eyesight might struggle a bit! I also own the MEC Olympic pistol shooting book which does explain the principles along with digital images of some "veteran" shooters doing the business.

I look forward to trying this out, I really do!

Andy
    Hi Andy,

It would be good to have you ( and your old bones) with us

I don't get the chance to walk around lakes or canals so much any more so I have not seen the pole rollers you refer to, but JG knocked up a rest with a 6" length of 50mm tube and fixed it onto a camera tripod and that worked well enough for testing and would probably be OK for regular use too.

The sort of stand you can see in the MEC book should be easy to get fabricated locally - it may be worth showing it to John to see if he would like to make a batch for the local shooters - we would certainly buy some for our club if he did and I am sure there would be a lot of others interested in them as well.

Red face

Is this rested Comp shot over 6yds or 10 mtrs, i;ve noticed both distances mentioned ? likely me being a bit thick, confused of ilkeston, ...mike...

Once we know for sure what the "official" requirements are for the pistol rest, I am sure that we could arrange for somebody to manufacture a few so we can give the new discipline a run out. Lets hope we can progress this as it does sound like it might provide a challenge for those of us without Garth like arms (although Jonesy appears to do well unsupported may I add!) There again, I have to admit to not being too bothered about supporting a pistol during my many recent and extended 10m sessions recently. The rested pistol just sounds like a good idea.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Is this rested Comp shot over 6yds or 10 mtrs, i;ve noticed both distances mentioned ? likely me being a bit thick, confused of ilkeston, ...mike...
    Hi Mike,

The short answer is both.

The first competition to start is with the new MPL 6 yard postal competition - - and that starts next month ( July 2015) and I have also been talking with John Lloyd at the NSRA and we are getting things moving there at 10 meters too - and quite apart from all that some of the Northern Clubs such as Rivvington and Rossendale are also looking to get started and since their ranges are at 10 metres then they will also shoot at 10 metres .

.....so the good news is that Supported Air Pistol Shooting will be taking part at the traditional British 6 yard distance and the International 10 meter distance too. Good News

A lot of progress has been made since I first raised the subject on the BBS just a few weeks ago. I have not been put off by those that have been less than enthusiastic about my campaign but I have also been fortunate enough to receive a lot of support (sorry) and help from many others and George and Robin in particular took up the challenge of accurately translating the established German rules and then making sure they read correctly in English ( not exactly the same thing!!).

Lets hope we do finally see some real progress in the latter half of this year with lots of people enjoying this new section of the air pistol shooting sport together.

Once we know for sure what the "official" requirements are for the pistol rest, I am sure that we could arrange for somebody to manufacture a few so we can give the new discipline a run out.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

The English rules are on this thread ( see no 28 from George) and the maximum diameter of the hard round support is 50mm and more details can be found in some of the other contributions if you check them through.

The rest specification is quite simple and as a rough guide a 6 inch length of hard round tube or bar (maximum diameter is 50mm) fixed in any way to a suitable support just about sums it up. The pictures you have in the excellent MEC pistol shooting book can fill in all the gaps !

I am coming over your way tomorrow morning and will be staying in Formby until next Tuesday but I have no access to a computer until I get back but I would be happy to help in any way I can when I return to civilisation in Rossendale next week.

.......you may well have knocked something up by then to have a go with
    Last edited by zooma; 19-06-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Mike,

The short answer is both.

The first competition to start is with the new MPL 6 yard postal competition - - and that starts next month ( July 2015) and I have also been talking with John Lloyd at the NSRA and we are getting things moving there at 10 meters too - and quite apart from all that some of the Northern Clubs such as Rivvington and Rossendale are also looking to get started and since their ranges are at 10 metres then they will also shoot at 10 metres .

.....so the good news is that Supported Air Pistol Shooting will be taking part at the traditional British 6 yard distance and the International 10 meter distance too. Good News

A lot of progress has been made since I first raised the subject on the BBS just a few weeks ago. I have not been put off by those that have been less than enthusiastic about my campaign but I have also been fortunate enough to receive a lot of support (sorry) and help from many others and George and Robin in particular took up the challenge of accurately translating the established German rules and then making sure they read correctly in English ( not exactly the same thing!!).

Lets hope we do finally see some real progress in the latter half of this year with lots of people enjoying this new section of the air pistol shooting sport together.
    Great News i'll put the word around, sadly won't be involved i've sold up completely, just retained a springer pistol for a plink now & then so its not suitable for resting (duo 300), pushing seventy so won't buy anymore guns, but will monitor the comp with interest. ...mike...
    PS having sold it all i do miss the silver star you sold me via CAPA.

Once we know for sure what the "official" requirements are for the pistol rest, I am sure that we could arrange for somebody to manufacture a few so we can give the new discipline a run out. Lets hope we can progress this as it does sound like it might provide a challenge for those of us without Garth like arms (although Jonesy appears to do well unsupported may I add!) There again, I have to admit to not being too bothered about supporting a pistol during my many recent and extended 10m sessions recently. The rested pistol just sounds like a good idea.

Andy

He spends that much time on the range we are moving his bed in there.

Ive got to admit I had a quick go at rested 10m pistol shooting last night when it was quiet (no snoring Andy ) Its NOT as easy as I thought and there should be no problems with regards to scoring and a over crowded 9 & 10 ring for us mere mortals. 'Hippo' my be another matter.

ATB
    Ian.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for having a go with a rested pistol Ian and giving some feedback, and thanks for confirming the discipline is not easy and great skill is still needed, if lower skill was needed all the ex Olympians aboard that shoot it would soon hit the max.

Best cheers
    George

Look forward to giving rested a blast tomorrow! I will of course be taking my sleeping bag.

Just reading this thread with interest.

If someone would like a supply of 50mm steel tube (white powder coated) I have some spare. These are used for mounting LCD projectors to ceilings and I have some spare.

Just give me a shout and I'd be happy to donate 3 or 4. They are 1m long with 10mm diameter holes drilled through at both ends roughly 50mm from the end so still gives a good length of solid tube.

Also another good stand option for converting is a site lighting stand that Wickes sell. It costs about £29.99 (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-400W-...light/p/702860) The light comes off the top via a bolt so quite easy to adapt. The legs can also be shortened quite easily to give a smaller footprint.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark.
    Andy