I admit to having a soft spot for the pre-war Diana 27 ... the quarter stock version made in and around the 1920's. I, and a friend, have used them for vintage air rifle shoots and it is clear that there were differences in construction of the model during its manufacturing run. Yet I have not come across definitive information detailing this. I have now come across reference to an article by Ladd Fanta in Gun Digest 1977 where he covers the Mod 27. But it is not clear whether this includes much information on the pre-war version or not. A search on 'Ladd Fanta Diana 27' has brought up an article by him but it is quite short, deals mostly with the post war 27 and is not in Gun Digest.

So: a question, and a possible favour, if I may: Does the 1977 Gun Digest article give much information on the pre-war 27? Does anyone have a scan of the article they would be willing to let me have? I have only found copies of the 1977 Gun Digest to be available from the USA, plus one from Spain. Cost is reasonable but postage is steep and I am not sure I want to gamble on a copy unless the article is worth it.

Maybe I should wait for a copy of Gun Digest to come along in the UK as 'everything comes to those who wait'....

As an example of differences: I am pretty sure that some came with the breech seal on the barrel; others have it on the cylinder. Some have 'keeper screws' on the barrel pivot, others do not. They are lovely rifles and so very easy to work on. Some were clearly used as 'target' rifles, maybe bell target, as I have one where a previous owner has made a dioptre sight from copper plumbing pipe; presumably to save money.

Cheers, Phil