Thread: Inherited BSA Air rifles - are they 'collectable'

Question Inherited BSA Air rifles - are they 'collectable'

I have finally got around to wanting to know if 2 BSA air rifles I have inherited are worth anything due to their age? I know my Uncle and friend bought them at the same time in 1947 and believe they date to around 1920? One is in better condition than the other and one embossed 'BSA' the other not. You can see a serial number on one but not the other, both have some minor damage etc etc. -they both have their nuances!
    I have used both and killed with them. The springs seeming to still be strong. I also have 2 or 3 tins of 'old fashioned' .22 pellets to go with them. Does anyone collect tins/pellets? (I can add pix of these if required).

I look forward to learning more about these weapons and hopefully being surprised by their (high) value ,(I live in hope!).

You can see a range of images here;

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/CarMart2/slideshow/

Thanks in anticipation..

Dont know a lot about BSA rifles of this vintage but hang on a few mins and someone will come along who does , very nice rifles and are very collectable . Also add pics of pellet tins as these too are very collectable and will be very interesting for most in collectors corner ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Hi,

You have two classic BSA Standard No 2 air rifles. I would roughly date 27872 from 1927/28 and the other from the mid 1930s. The serial number on the later rifle may be lower down on the left side of the trigger block, just above the trigger slot and under the '3 holes'. It may be prefixed by a T. If it is, that will date it from post 1936. If no prefix, then it will have been made between 1930 and 1935.

As to value, the rifles appear to have enjoyed a long working life and you are probably looking at around £120 - £150 each on today's market.

Please do post some pics of the pellets as I'm intrigued as to what they may be!

Hope that helps,

John

Cool

Not often I get to say this but, 'What a lovely pair'!

I love these old pre war Beesas and have a few myself

It looks like the cocking link screw on one of them is non original and the bead of the foresight of the other is missing..

Other than that they look a great pair of oldies

Cheersw, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

As said “A nice pair”…. It wouldn’t take too much to service them & replace the wrong parts or piston washer & main spring should they be broken & need it. There are years of enjoyment left in these old girls yet…. Nice inheritance...

Simon.

Thanks all. I'll upload pics of the tins and look for the 2nd rifles serial no. Next week when I'm bank home.

Pictures added of serial no. and ammo

Hi all

I have now read the serial number on the second rifle. It was forward of the trigger on the spring mechanism. it is stamped P PAT and (then I guess the serial number) '16982 - 22'

I have added pictures of this and the tins of pellets I have here

http://s376.photobucket.com/upload

(i do realise one of the tins are .177 so can't use them with these rifles).

Quote Originally Posted by CarMart View Post
    Hi all

I have now read the serial number on the second rifle. It was forward of the trigger on the spring mechanism. it is stamped P PAT and (then I guess the serial number) '16982 - 22'

This link is not working but you can see the pics if you go to the original slideshow higher up the thread.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

New photo link

Oops. Thanks for the heads up Garvin.

Here is the working link

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/CarMart2/slideshow/

Quote Originally Posted by CarMart View Post
    Hi all

Hi,

The number you have found on the piston refers to a 1929 BSA patent rather than a serial number and should end in 29 rather than 22. The serial number should be on the left side of the Trigger Block.

The Eley Wasp pellets are popular with many shooters as they were of a quality unmatched by today's version, whilst the Webley pellets also have some value, as do the Milbro. The scuffed condition of the tins will have a bearing on value however. No idea what the .22 Rimfire box is worth as not something I am familiar with.

If you want an indication of tin value, have a look on that certain auction site as the pellets you have often come up for sale.

Kind regards,

John

Thanks John. Useful to know - and I'll take a look around re; the tins

As for the serial number it is clear on one as you can see (and where you say) but definitely not on the other one, so that remains a mystery.