Thread: Webley Service Mkll question

Webley Service Mkll question

Following on from a recent thread decided to get mine out for a fondle.
    The earlier Serial No's have barrels stamped with the Serial next to the keyway.
    The later No's have barrels with Serial on the key steel and another three figure number next to keyway.
    This three figure number is, certainly on one, stamped inside the trigger housing and the stock/trigger bracket.
    Any ideas what that's all about ?

Photos tomorrow if any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Following on from a recent thread decided to get mine out for a fondle.
    The earlier Serial No's have barrels stamped with the Serial next to the keyway.
    The later No's have barrels with Serial on the key steel and another three figure number next to keyway.
    This three figure number is, certainly on one, stamped inside the trigger housing and the stock/trigger bracket.
    Any ideas what that's all about ?

Photos tomorrow if any interest.
    Hi,

The 3 figure numbers are assembly numbers. If you strip your rifle, you will see them stamped on major components. I wrote about this very subject recently in Airgun World but cannot confirm the exact issue at this very moment as it has been archived in the loft!

Kind regards,

John

Middle months 2014 if I remember right John. Thanks for the reply.
    I get the 3 figure assembly/mating mark but why i) weren't all marked ii) not use the Serial No iii) serial the key which may well detach from the barrel ?
    were the three things bugging me on a damp and dull evening. Sad I know!

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Middle months 2014 if I remember right John. Thanks for the reply.
    I get the 3 figure assembly/mating mark but why i) weren't all marked ii) not use the Serial No iii) serial the key which may well detach from the barrel ?
    were the three things bugging me on a damp and dull evening. Sad I know!
    Interesting questions. It suggests Webley used assembly numbers before finally issuing a serial number. There was an element of hand fitting, hence the need to mark major parts with the same number. I agree it would have made more sense to use the serial number but with Webley, things were rarely simple!

Kind regards,

John