Thread: Browning Buckmark .22lr Rifle.

Browning Buckmark .22lr Rifle.

I used to own a 10/22 a few years back which I quite liked but found it a bit unreliable for cycling subsonics which meant that it wasn't much use as a pest control tool.

Purchased myself a Browning Buckmark Sporter Rifle with short (12 inch barrel) a couple of weeks ago. I've now put around 250 rounds through it and here are my findings:

It's certainly the lightest rimfire I've ever held. Even with a Bushnell Legend and mounts on top it still feels almost light enough to shoot one-handed!! I was a bit annoyed at having to buy 5/8" mount bases in order to fit a scope to the rail but that's something I should have been aware of before I bought it.

The much criticised short length-of-pull is absolutely perfect for me since despite being 6 ft tall I've actually got quite short arms and small hands.
    The rifle sits extremely comfortable in the shoulder and has a compact robustly tough feel to it.

Filling the 10 round mag with Eley subs (which then slides back into the pistol grip with a reassuring click) was easy.

My first 50 or so shots didn't group very well (I zero at 60 yards for 22lr) but I put this down to it being a semi auto rather than a bolt action and that the barrel was still new. Accuracy thereafter seemed to improve with every magazine however and I can now group well within 1.5 inches at 55 yards. I'm happy with that since I was never going to achieve bolt-action results with an out-of-the-box semi auto anyway.

Being such a short and extremely light rifle, there is a tiny bit more muzzle flip than I'd like but I'll have to master this over time. Felt recoil is virtually nil and the firing cycle is faultless. The trigger has very little travel and I find it's factory set weight absolutely perfect. As quickly as you can squeeze it, this rifle will fire and recycle subsonics.
    With my Sak moderator screwed onto the end, we're talking silenced sub 12 fpe air rifle-type quiet here. Superb.

Being so short and light, it's brilliant for use from any enclosed environment, be it a 4x4, hide, or just scrunched up under a hedge. You could walk with this scoped up rifle in one hand all day.

They're certainly expensive for what they are and it's size and looks obviously aren't to everyone's taste but I'm really glad I bought it because it's action is clearly superior to Ruger which is the only other .22 semi auto I've tried.

Owing to it's compact proportions you'd definitely need to try before you buy (like I suppose you should with any firearm) but if you can afford one, don't hesitate.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

GOOD REVEIW ,I have had mine over 5 years ,fitted the adjustable alloy but pad ,yes expensive but there a keeper ,so think not as expensive as you think as don't devalue ether
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Thanks mate.

It's early days yet, but like you say, I think I might have this rifle a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Thanks mate.

It's early days yet, but like you say, I think I might have this rifle a while.

great little review!

I didn't think these were you mentioned about using these with a sac moderator did yours come with a screw cut barrel or did you get it done?

all the ones i have seen have not been threaded. I pretty much wanted a light accurate gun for night vision, that will cycle subs.

many thanks, dave

Quote Originally Posted by forbs View Post
    great little review!

I didn't think these were you mentioned about using these with a sac moderator did yours come with a screw cut barrel or did you get it done?

all the ones i have seen have not been threaded. I pretty much wanted a light accurate gun for night vision, that will cycle subs.

many thanks, dave
    They come in a variety of versions Dave, but yes, mine came with an ultra short screw-cut barrel.

So long as you keep the trigger and breech mechanism reasonably clean, the rifle will cycle subs all day long.

Have a hunt around on guntrader to find what you're looking for (ie carbine sporter screw-cut version). They're out there mate. They're not cheap, but are well worth splashing out for. Let us know how you get on.

Pistol

I have had a go on the buck mark as a rifle, but i prefer it as a long barreled pistol!