Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornet K

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    or a different powder ?
    H110 maybe, my book quotes 12.3gn as max load with 35gn V-max for 3100fps in a std case.
    Yeah that's a good point, the hodgdon site gives the same weight for the max load for the 30 gainers out of the standard case, giving 3150 fps
    Thanks for looking

Well I had a nice afternoon re-zeroing, having changed mounts to a weaver rail to get the correct eye relief, and It definitely seems to like the 30gn barns @ 13.5gn lilgun,
    easy sub 1/2" groups at 50yds & 1" at 100yds. I suppose I ought to try some fine tuning at 0.1gn increments to see if I can get down to 1/2" at 100yds

Unfortunately the V-max 35gn @13.5gn were only doing 1.5" at 100yds so I guess a bit more testing of those is required.

I can see this rapidly becoming addictive

I can see this rapidly becoming addictive

Too late !!!

Lesson learned ?

Today I think I learned a loading lesson the "heart breaking" way

Having got "in the right area" with 13.5gn lilgun & a 30gn Barnes varmint grenade, I made up a batch of 5 each at 13.3gn/13.4gn/13.6gn/13.7gn to fine tune all using the same brand case to be accurate,

except that I found 1 case damaged so had to make the last 13.7gn in another brand.

tested at 100yds those 13.7gn just put 4 through the same hole with that (spit) odd case, 3mm off low right that would have been my first 100yd single hole.

So always batch load with the same brand of brass.

These Hornet are fussy little buggers ! Don't even try grouping on a full moon !

Even using the same brand from a different batch can make a difference, I have some RP Rem .233 brass that I reload with, I bought some once fired on SD, with the same charge they shoot about twice the size group. When I weighed them they're about 2 grains heavier empty so must be thicker.
    Thanks for looking

Now you mention it my Rem brass must be different batches, looking at the base stamping two different fonts are used,
    so I guess I've got to double check where I've bagged it by maker, and then make batches same load with different brass.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Now you mention it my Rem brass must be different batches, looking at the base stamping two different fonts are used,
    so I guess I've got to double check where I've bagged it by maker, and then make batches same load with different brass.
    And then weight batch the batches to get even more consistency!
    Thanks for looking