Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hw30s appreciation society

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I wonder how many threads on light to medium weight rifles attract as many views / replies as HW30 ones?
    Maybe some of the other rifles should be looked at and even bought to compare with the HW30S/R7!

One competitor is the Diana 240 Classic which looks really good. I wonder if its trigger is as nice, and how much it costs if you ship it in from Continental Europe?

Another is the Slavia series, which are also cheap and of good quality, although perhaps not as well finished as the Weihrauch.

There are others, perhaps AGW could do a 'lightweight' springer comparison article?

The use of the rifle is the key; bigger rifles are needed with full power for vermin shooting or at least 10.5 fpe for competitions, heavy ones for the arduous world of 10m or 6 yard competition. If you want to just enjoy shooting groups at whatever range for the fun of it, plink at Polo mints or tic-tacs or tin cans, then you don't need a big rifle. Hence the HW30S with its excellent trigger fits the bill. But maybe a Diana 240 or Slavia 630 would be just as good...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Maybe some of the other rifles should be looked at and even bought to compare with the HW30S/R7!

One competitor is the Diana 240 Classic which looks really good. I wonder if its trigger is as nice, and how much it costs if you ship it in from Continental Europe?

Another is the Slavia series, which are also cheap and of good quality, although perhaps not as well finished as the Weihrauch.

There are others, perhaps AGW could do a 'lightweight' springer comparison article?

The use of the rifle is the key; bigger rifles are needed with full power for vermin shooting or at least 10.5 fpe for competitions, heavy ones for the arduous world of 10m or 6 yard competition. If you want to just enjoy shooting groups at whatever range for the fun of it, plink at Polo mints or tic-tacs or tin cans, then you don't need a big rifle. Hence the HW30S with its excellent trigger fits the bill. But maybe a Diana 240 or Slavia 630 would be just as good...
    Couldn't disagree with any of what you say. All totally valid. Would just add that in fairness the qualification regarding the uses and limitations of the 30s have been clearly stated several times. But a third party comparison with similar quality guns would certainly be welcome.

Particularly like your suggestion re AGW, about time they focused rather more on the less than full power end of the new gun market.

Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

I own a Diana 24D T01. Got it about a year and a half ago. Totally mint snd at a bargain £69!
    Very nice trigger (although adjustment is "fuzzier" than the Rekord), smooth cocking and nice enough firing cycle. It certainly feels a quality engineered little gun. Power circa 6ft.lbs?

I've only ever shot one CZ. That belonged to Jon Budd. Think it was the 631. Again, very nice little thing. We hear much positive praise over CZ barrels that it seems a shame thst they're not more prolific in the UK.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    .....Have now ordered the second 30s in.177 too so will have one as a potential tune/upgrade project....
    Would be interesting to know how it performs straight out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Exceptionally well - at least my pal's new .177 HW30s does...

Just a very quick update.

New 30s now received and opened just to make sure it was the gun I ordered - unfortunately it was, hoping they might have made a mistake and sent me a Winchester '73
    No opportunity to use it yet though and now casually contemplating just what to do with it. I know what I want to end up with but not being an expert in any way (too many other interests) needing a little time to suss out best components to arrive at my ideal rifle.

Bought online from http://www.db-schietsport.nl/en_GB and I have nothing but praise for the service I received from start to finish. Several emails with various questions prior to ordering were answered swiftly and comprehensively even though it was their weekday closing.

Ordered Monday using PayPal, shipped Tuesday as promised along with confirmation of order and tracking details, very well packaged, arrived early Thursday direct to my door. Total including shipping £133.
    Couldn't ask for more. Highly recommended. Contact Dave Wilson.

ATB
    Hombre

Thinking of getting one of these, but which shoots nicer the .22 or the .177?

I think the 12fpe HW95 that I have, shoots better in .22 but I suppose the lower power of the 30s makes it less critical.

Just for a bit of plinking and short range target shooting.

Thanks

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Nice one, Hombre.

Ouch...I have two .22s and my recently acquired .177. Without testing them side by side, it'd be hard to say definitively. However, if it were to be just the one, I'd say go for the .177. With the lower powers (and pressures) involved, the little one still shoots remarkably mildly and, as Nick so pragmatically pointed out, will shoot flatter and with lower pellet cost.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Cheers dude!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Exceptionally well - at least my pal's new .177 HW30s does...
    Do you know whether that was with the standard 7Joule spring from the European shops, or one bought in the UK with the more powerful spring. The 7J would do for my needs and probably be smooth to operate (maybe with some fettling if required).

Do you know whether that was with the standard 7Joule spring from the European shops, or one bought in the UK with the more powerful spring. The 7J would do for my needs and probably be smooth to operate (maybe with some fettling if required).
    Apologies for interjecting - not intending to answer on behalf of others - but just adding, in a way, to my post above
    and maybe helping with this question also.

The 30s (.177) I have just bought from Holland is rated on the site as having an MV of 190mps which translates nearly enough to 623fps. With H&N FTT pellets (which I understand is what Weihrauch use to test at the factory) in 8.64gr that produces a muzzle energy of 7.45 Ft/Lbs. Whilst I haven't chrono'd my first rifle which came by way of Hull Cartridge with these pellets, I do know that it's doing around 635/645fps with Exact Express in 7.87gr which produces comparable figures given the lighter pellet

So what, you may say? Well, on the face of it if you buy from Holland it would appear there is little or no difference in energy rating.
    I do emphasise 'would seem' as I can't be certain and I won't know about my new rifle until I actually shoot it and it settles down. If anything like the first one it dieseled, to say the least, for quite a few shots before it settled. I thought I'd been given a rimfire

Just as a matter of interest - given the posts regarding the merits of this rifle in .177 or .22 I have just been playing with the figures in Chairgun and if we take the manufacturer's stated muzzle velocities (website) and use H&N pellets in .177 (8.64gr) and .22 (14.66) I get fps at the muzzle of 623 (.177) and 426 (.22)
    and at 30 yards 412fps and 282 fps and retained energy at same distance is 3.3 Ft/Lbs and 2.6Ft/Lbs respectively. That's a 27% increase in retained energy and 46% increase in retained velocity in favour of the .177.
    The output I am getting with Exact Express sits somewhere nicely in the middle of these figures.

Now, the first thing I must say is that I'm the last person to be spouting this kind of stuff as I may have got it all completely round my ears and I bow to the vastly superior knowledge of the majority of the other members on this forum. So, am I right? Please correct me if not.
    On the face of it though the trade off needed to favour the .22 would need to be substantial - at least for me.

I'll go now as I've probably only stated the bleeding obvious and bored you all quite enough

ATB
    Hombre

Purchased new in the UK - gives around 6.5 ft/lb with Hobby and 4.52 JSB RS - astoundingly accurate...

Thanks for the responses. So the UK bought rifle has a higher output (e.g. 6.5 ft.lb in 0.177) than the ones from Germany (7J = 5.2 ft.lb). Maybe the ones from Holland come fitted with the UK spec spring? Let us know Hombre when you have done some testing. Thanks.

(I may have read somewhere that the ones from Holland have the stronger spring....but can not find the source ).

Thumbs up 30s Update...

Went to the farm today, with the intention of putting a few rounds through the new HW99s to get her properly settled in. Fact is, I spent most of the time shooting my pal's HW30s, which - after a couple of tins of pellets and some appropriate lubrication - is delivering an amazingly consistent 6.9 ft/lbs with 4.52mm JSB Express. Now my eyes aren't really up to 1x dot sights any more, so I stuck to the 'walking' target (starting out around 10 yards) and the various 20 yard spinners. That little 30s is so easy to shoot well, you have to seriously mess up to miss with her at these ranges - my 99s is no less accurate, but you can't get away with nearly as many liberties regarding hold and stance. The 30s is almost as forgiving to shoot as my XS78 gasser and the cocking effort required is actually no effort at all. Had my pal offered a straight swap for my 99s, I likely would have agreed. With my Simmons 1.5-5x32 on board, the HW30s could be so much more than a plinker/barn gun and I'm tempted to say it's one of Weihrauch's finest rifles and I'd feel completely confident hunting out to 15-20 yards with one...

Thanks for the responses. So the UK bought rifle has a higher output (e.g. 6.5 ft.lb in 0.177) than the ones from Germany (7J = 5.2 ft.lb). Maybe the ones from Holland come fitted with the UK spec spring? Let us know Hombre when you have done some testing. Thanks.

(I may have read somewhere that the ones from Holland have the stronger spring....but can not find the source ).
    Yes, mate. My recently acquired one (original purchaser bought it from Holland) is doing 7ft.lbs in .177.