Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hw30s appreciation society

Nick, not sure about this, but does the 25mm '30 use the older type piston seal and not the newer type as per fitted to the 26mm guns?

So, I'guessing that, unless you have gone and sized the seal, there may well be at least another half a FT.lb lurking there, just on current set-up??

So, if you're liking the way this little sweetheart is shooting, I'd definitely be letting it fully settle down?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nick, not sure about this, but does the 25mm '30 use the older type piston seal and not the newer type as per fitted to the 26mm guns?

So, I'guessing that, unless you have gone and sized the seal, there may well be at least another half a FT.lb lurking there, just on current set-up??

So, if you're liking the way this little sweetheart is shooting, I'd definitely be letting it fully settle down?
    Its the same style as in my 97, and it moves quite freely in the tube, so I'm not gonna muck about trying to size it.

I will try a cut down 99 spring at some point, maybe after I'm bored of an easy cocking stroke and negligible recoil........

One problem is its already outperforming its open sights (or my eyes) So I may have to find a suitable scope.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Indeed, as some put it, they are proper little "tack drivers".
    It almost seems right to keep them on opens (as is my original one) to maintain the sleek and compact lines. But then it also seems a crime not to put some glass on there to fully realise the incredible inherent accuracy.

I assume you have read both the Todd Cooper and Dave Hoffman reviews?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I assume you have read both the Todd Cooper and Dave Hoffman reviews?
    They don't ring any bells....

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Haha!

Being a bit of a 'saur, I'm no good at doing links, matey. But Google them up. Having now used and fettled one, you already know how good they are, but these reviews are well worth googling up and having a read of. Both from the US.

And, for a laugh, whilst you're on the Dave Hoffman site (Dave's Airgun Reviews), have a read of his HW50 (99) test and his "running in" method!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

Found em and read em! So I'm getting the same power with 2" and 5 coils less spring. I need a longer spring!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Didnt they have that same problem in WWI & WWII ?

Lovely little gun the '30. Mine, a pre safety catch, has been retro fitted with a Rekord unit although the Perfect unit wasn't all that bad.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=43

ATB
    Ian
    Hey, that's nice I.J. It has a little ballbag pistolgrip, like a baby '35. Awww, bless

I really must get one of these beauties in .177"
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hey, that's nice I.J. It has a little ballbag pistolgrip, like a baby '35. Awww, bless
    Trust you!!

Nice long sight line there, IJ.

Bet it's lovely.

I would love one in .20" but it looks like this is only available to our American cousins as the Beeman R7
    Last edited by averageplinker; 29-01-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The older HW30 seems to have a longer stroke than the modern one. Also, my old one doesn't seem to suffer gallage.

Side-by-side report as soon as I can be arsed to do it.

love em

I love mine, it just wants to put the pellets through the hole in my bell target no signs of the dreaded galling yet but it's a little harder to cock than you'd think for the power output, so suspect there is some metal contact somewhere :/ fantastic little gun though

airgun perfection !!

As ive said many times before my hw30 is airgun perfection in my eyes. Id gladly put it up against anything out to 30yrds. It loves Air Arms 4.52mm and supported will reward you with the tiniest groups . True pcp accuracy from a low cost airgun. l've also used it against rats at my daughtets stable and it is perfect for the job as its very quiet and delivers clinical head shots with ease.
    It did have a very slight galling issue but a smear of molly grease sorted it and its never returned.
    HW97kt .177 / Panorama 4-12x50 ao-ir ..HW97kt .22 / Viper 10x44..Air Arms Tx200hc .177 / Viper 6-24x56..HW95k Airmasters .20 / Viper 10x44..HW30s.177/Hawke 3-9x40 . HW45 black star .177...BSA Scorpion SE .177 /Varmint 4-16×44

I got one last year in .22, lovley to shoot and not really pellet fussey, £120 2nd hand with a nice 4x40 its a nice plinker/ close in hunter. When taken to my local club, most of the expensive pcp,s were put down and all who shoot the 30 enjoued it. A quality Hw at the " cheaper" end of the market, enjoy.

Lovely little air rifles, my .177 does 7.5ft/lb in standard trim.

Here's the Todd Cooper review for those interested...

... and the Dave Hoffman article.