Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hw30s appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Haha!

Being a bit of a 'saur, I'm no good at doing links, matey. But Google them up. Having now used and fettled one, you already know how good they are, but these reviews are well worth googling up and having a read of. Both from the US.

And, for a laugh, whilst you're on the Dave Hoffman site (Dave's Airgun Reviews), have a read of his HW50 (99) test and his "running in" method!!
    So if your rifle is galling itself to bits when cocking it,dont sort it out just use 2 arms to cock it,problem solvedHow can this guy be wrong he has 15 years experience with spring rifles

I thought the hw30 was the same gun as the hw99?

Is the 30 smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post

Is the 30 smaller?
    yes the 30 is smaller mate,the 99 is same as hw50s

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post

Is the 30 smaller?
    The HW50s is the same gun as the HW99s apart from a couple of minor differences,the HW30s is smaller less powerful and has a ball detent instead of a chisel detent but it does have and comes with interchangeable front sight elements whereas the HW99s doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Trust you!!

Nice long sight line there, IJ.

Bet it's lovely.
    That little rifle has been in the club nearly 30 years. It originally belonged to a club members son who out grew it so I bought it for my son. He used it for a few years until he also outgrew it and went on to use a Daystate. Hes now over 30 years old.
    I hadn't the heart to sell the '30 and only recently serviced it with a new spring etc (Chambers) out of guilt.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    This morning I've had another play. I've now put in a 99 spring reduced to 190mm, 3.0mm wire and 24 coils. I've made another guide set to suit and it just has 5mm preload provided by the top hat and slip washer. Cocking has noticeably changed, not badly, its still a doddle, but you can feel its a different spring.

Chrono results were:

Hobby.
    580. Avereage 576fps = 8.7fpe

Theres more to be had from this spring in the 3mm or so I have left for preload which I'll try later. However, I think a uk spec spring would be worth a go, I'll start trawlng the spares companies later.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

WEIHRAUCH HW30 18.5 12.9 2.8 205 Versandhaus

Source: Post #7 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ng-data-thread

Cheers guys,
    Thought it was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    WEIHRAUCH HW30 18.5 12.9 2.8 205 Versandhaus

Source: Post #7 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ng-data-thread

Thanks fella!

I made the mistake of popping into Helston gunsmiths for some pellets this afternoon. Forget the scope problem, I walked out with a lovely little Phillipino WTC 1.5-5x20 for the least I've ever seen them go for! It suits it down to the ground without seemingly adding any weight or upsetting the balance.

Karens making murmurations about swapping this for her 97. We shall see.......

That seems a great little combo' butty. The only thing I can't take about the baby WTC is how ugly it is... and no dots... oh, and PX error... and not enough mag'

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    That seems a great little combo' butty. The only thing I can't take about the baby WTC is how ugly it is... and no dots... oh, and PX error... and not enough mag'

Zero'd at 25 yards makes it point and shoot to 30 which is very much its max range for live stuff, so 5x should be fine with no dots, xmas trees or other superfluous frippery needed. I've already re px'd it to 25 yards. Its been warm and sunny down here for a while now, so I might break some shorts out and go try it around the yard over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Zero'd at 25 yards makes it point and shoot to 30 which is very much its max range for live stuff, so 5x should be fine with no dots, xmas trees or other superfluous frippery needed. I've already re px'd it to 25 yards. Its been warm and sunny down here for a while now, so I might break some shorts out and go try it around the yard over the weekend.
    Does sound pretty perfeck actually... along with your warm Southern weather.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    That little rifle has been in the club nearly 30 years. It originally belonged to a club members son who out grew it so I bought it for my son. He used it for a few years until he also outgrew it and went on to use a Daystate. Hes now over 30 years old.
    I hadn't the heart to sell the '30 and only recently serviced it with a new spring etc (Chambers) out of guilt.

ATB
    Ian
    Quite correct to keep it, IJ. It's a keeper for sure.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

8.7 FT.lbs and the seal still needs to truly run-in.
    Excellent consistency.
    Superb accuracy.
    Lovely little lightweight and compact scope.

You lucky little man, you! Nice one, TB.

Shame the Mrs is now going to nick it....you should've seen that one coming!!

How benign does the firing cycle feel now, Nick? Just as nice? Think I'm going to have to have a play with the one I got last year. Back up to full power. And get myself a .177 also.

Love these little guns.

P.S. Are you a moly grease or Finish Line man?
    Last edited by TonyL; 30-01-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: P.S.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
    So if your rifle is galling itself to bits when cocking it,dont sort it out just use 2 arms to cock it,problem solvedHow can this guy be wrong he has 15 years experience with spring rifles
    Cringeworthy ain't it?