Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ssp's

I really like the idea of an SSP but they are, to date, more difficult (or maybe the word should be 'involved') to work on than a springer. Many people are happy to delve into their springers for maintenance or repair. I am not so sure that people would be so confident if the issue was high pressure seals.
    So, yes, I think a good one would sell if the price was right but it would be a bit of a niche market.
    Cheers, Phil

Maintainability is the problem.
    I've had a couple of PH Dragons, a JB1 and a Mohawk. The latter two were fairly simple but I didn't fancy the idea of fixing the Dragon.
    By comparison, something like a BSA Ultra is supremely simple to strip and repair and that's what worries me about the Paradigm (not that I believe we'll ever see it), it sounds like a can of technical worms to me.
    Not worried about the pumping effort - got muscles.
    I actually think the perfect design in terms of pumping and shooting is that developed by FX and used in the Independence, this looks like the best of both worlds to me, even though the gun itself is pig ugly and far too expensive. And that said, I don't know what they're like to strip either....

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Interesting.

So you'd have one if it could be made but you don't think it's feasible. Unless you believe in fairies
    Its mechanically impossible !!!! ( Fairy dust was quoted )
    A springer is approximately 30% efficient , ( This is due entirely to the compression (Exothermically ) Generating heat &
    expressing itself as a higher pressure ) Albeit for a very short time ,
    Hence the short barrel will syndrome !

The " Pump ups " on the other hand are approximately 5 % Efficient ( These are not my numbers )
    When the compressed air is released, it cools rapidly ( Endothermic ) This expresses itself in a purported less volume, Hence less efficient .

I have had almost all the SSP,s & Still have some,
    Does this Dragon look easy to cock ? For an Orangatang maybe !

Or this Tuned version of mine of the Gamo Supertarget , At 9 Fpe in .177 its hard work .

It has like all SSP,s a huge piston to enable it to create the swept volume for a single usable stroke to enable it to give it a decent output.
    Not all of us are physically able to pump these, & If so for how many repetitions , This and the weight of them in my opinion was the demise of the SSP,

You cannot compare Pre-charged with these guns . ! They are the same, Recoilless , Super accurate , But SSP,s just have to weigh more ?

Had the same performance requirements been given to other designs , I am sure they could have been made more user friendly IE, Lighter weight, Less effort Etc.
    First off a pump up, Pumped up in a reservoir needing a 1 pump top up per shot, Secondly a 2 pumped regulated output
    ( Ala the sharp innova )

And finally ( My favourite ) A Co2 gun, I can hear you muttering from here, Ha ha,
    I meant a Reservoir precharged by a 12 Gram cylinder, This pressure was added to by a single pump , In a separate chamber, Again regulated by a simple Sharp type pressure regulater,
    A given pressure regardless of temperature could be maintained .

Ged.
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 01-02-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Anyone remember the Genesis ? And what did the Graham Bluck prototype ssp end up as in production, was that the Dragon ?