Thread: Gamo or wait

Gamo or wait

I had ordered a walther r8 .177 from a nearby shop and was told to call into collect in a week, well a weeks gone buy so I went only only to find no r8, not been delivered or something, anyway whilst I was in their I had a butchers at the coyote which they did have one the shelf and they could knock a bit off as a goodwill gesture. Now the fella was more than helpful and said out of the two he would pick the gamo, now was this sales talk or not ? I did like the gamo to shoulder, well balanced and finished well. Bugger it as Id opted for the r8 but now Im hanging, both budget rifles yes, but that suits my useage.

Any coyote .177 feedback would be cool and the guy said it will return 100 shots per fill but the advertising states just 70. Can anyone confirm shout count and ft/lb of these

Many Thanks

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Read the "Newbie advice for pest control" thread, might answer some questions for you !...

I have only tried the coyote, but for what it's worth, I really liked it. Pellet cycling was positive, nice trigger , good balance and feel to it. Accuracy was excellent after finding right pellet. Accupels if I remember.I really couldn't fault it especially at the price. Only tried it out to 35 yrd as we were trying different pellets. I have read a review that said they were pellet fussy but other than that, really good.

Ive the Walther R8 .22 calibre version .. understand you're talking .177 ... all l'd say is the Walther l've got has had 3000 + pellets through it and its not missed a beat. Not a single jam, totally reliable. The pressure remains rock solid, l can only comment after about 5 months ownership, but all's been fine. Initially the bolt action was firm "which l.prefer" after curca 500/1000 pellets it free'd off somewhat.

When l went to buy the Walther l actually shouldered the Gamo offering and it really felt the business, had me thinking! ... the decider for me was the reliability concern. I am not totally convinced regards Gamo/BSA reliabity etc .. they apparently seem reliable after they are bought new, then stripped down by John Bowket, reworked, then you get acceptable reliability more often than not .. l just had more faith in the Walther being the more robust & reliable .. thats just my opinion for what its worth, and thats little ... it might be the Coyote is ultra reliable, l reckon its a really nice looking, well balanced pcp ... whatever you choose, l hope your happy with it and have years of trouble free shooting ... just go by your instinct, lve no brand loyalties to promote (Walther R 8's are heavy so and so's) .. the .177 is being delivered to their Walther outlets ... atb

p.s ... not to pellet fussy .. AA, JSB, Bisley & RWS all group well out to 40 yards ... Wasps fly all over the shop, though are good for pottering in the garden, though not out hunting in the field ...

A quote from one gunsmith: "The Walther is a Umarex 850 re-valved to run high pressure air rather than CO2. It's rather plastic and trashy if you ask me, die-cast alloy parts and injection moulded plastic." The Coyote is made by BSA but it has GAMO trigger unit in it. If I was you I'd be looking for a third option, BSA Ultras can be had for a bit over 400£.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Its the low shot count I didnt want, ive got those....

This is a gun to be laid on floor, used in rain and mainly at night at 40yds max and mostly 25 yds ratting

I have other rifles but just wanted a new low end rifle to try with warranty, Ive bought plenty of used pcps and new too. I think its good that theres a choice of rifles around the £400 range, and Ive learnt price does not allways deliver performance.

And I have shot the RM8 so know what it can do, it was just that it didnt arrive in shop and they showed me the gamo, it could of been the hatsan, heck Ive not even looked into those much and to put it in perspective Ive sold a pcp to fund this and its shocking, Ive struggled to sell my hw100s in .22, its 14 months old and like new, I finally got just 425 for it, half its new price ! So buyers dont want used hw100's that much or r10's as I bought a mint mk2 of this forum for £400. I cant loose that much money if I throw this away 😄 And I just cant bring myself to scar any of my other rifles as Im a clumbsy sod at night and Ive slowly become a horder ?
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

The Gamo Coyote is very similar to the BSA Scorpion in many respects I believe so should be reliable as my local RFD speaks well of the Scorpion

For night shooting the Gamo trigger might be acceptable as it is not very sensitive. Gamo Coyote = BSA Buccaneer export model and it is quite similar to Scorpion rifle length version. I believe the main differences are breech, magazine holding system and barrel band in addition to that trigger.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Gamo Coyote

Very capable gun, for little money. Accurate, 120 shots in 177. I know this as I have done it several times 232 bar fill, 12 mags down to 100 bar shown on gauge at end. We have adapted BSA R10 single shot adapters, to fit in to the Coyotes breach and they work superb allowing single shot target work at our club. I got one to try as a test against the R8 the Coyote won hence we now have two for the club. I am in the process of fitting a custom thumbhole laminate stock to my own Coyote. Also can take knocks and bumps as it managed to fall 5ft of some hooks in our club hut, hitting a table and falling to the floor. We thought the worse all it got was a graze from the table to the stock. took it on the zero range straight after and still held its zero. This was witnessed by at least 4 people. so no problem hunting with it and worrying about a few knocks and scrapes.

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    A quote from one gunsmith: "The Walther is a Umarex 850 re-valved to run high pressure air rather than CO2. It's rather plastic and trashy if you ask me, die-cast alloy parts and injection moulded plastic." The Coyote is made by BSA but it has GAMO trigger unit in it. If I was you I'd be looking for a third option, BSA Ultras can be had for a bit over 400£.
    Now which one of the two guns do you own