Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
Quick lesson on glues from an experienced boatbuilder who has used them all & seen failures in most of them! in order of strength & durability, PVA is ok for interior work but its not waterproof & not for things like gunstocks, There is a similar waterproof glue called Titebond 3 that is a lot stronger & just as easy to use.
Gorrila glue, or similar foaming PU glues are for quick & dirty work & do not have long term strength or durability.
Cascamite is a urea formaldehyde one of a family of glues developed for aircraft in WW2 (including the mosquito) Aerolite is a another that is very good. They are not recomended for underwater use & will start to degrade after 30 years or so.
Rescorcinol glues like Aerodux or Cascophen are still available & were also developed for aircraft use. They are still the most durable & waterproof glues going, they are not the easiest to use as they need very accurate mixing & are sensitive to temperature.
Epoxies are the strongest & most versatile, waterproof & easy to use. Main drawback is they have very low UV resistance so if exposed should be painted or varnished.
A few years back when I was intending to build a wooden bench to support my Myford ML7, the old book by Thomas I believe, advised against using PVA to glue the bench together even though it would have all been bolted together as well. Apparently PVA is not stable in humid and low temps and would have caused the bench to deform and bend the lathes bed. It gave the name of the proper glue for the application which I can not remember and the book has also vanished.

A.G