Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old air rifle ID - any ideas please?

Old air rifle ID - any ideas please?

I'm trying to work out what my dads old air rifle is. The only info I have is that it is at least 50 years old - probably more as I doubt it would have been bought new, believed to be German. Caliber is a bit questionable - I tried a modern .22 pellet and it is too tight to fire so I'm guessing it may be a .20? a .177 is too small.
    It looks a bit odd in this photo not sure why it looks like the barrel isn't lined up correctly....

Only markings I can find are the 4 digit serial number and a circled B.

Can anybody shed any light on what it is and where I can get spares from please.

Thanks very much

Edit close up photos:

Last edited by Dodgerover; 09-02-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added new photos

Ooh, no idea but someone will surely be along soon.

However you will certainly be able to sort out the essentials spares-wise without too much difficulty. Piston and breech seals would be made of leather and are easily re-made.

Sourcing a spring that works won't be difficult either.

Re the barrel angle - that's almost certainly a result of a flattened breech seal. In these types of guns i.e. vintage and entry level the barrel angle is determined by the thickness of the breech seal, the breech just shuts directly onto the seal.

I would fit a new seal, then use appropriate washers behind the seal to fine tune the barrel angle, as it will be close to impossible to make up a seal that gives the right angle straight from the off - in any case it may change over time as the seal takes a set.

No need for the angle to be perfect as the sights are on the barrel, however an upwards tilt is no good as it won't allow you to use the rear sight, a little downwards will be fine.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    You have, I think, an old Relum/FEG breakbarrel or telly. Its an early one 1960s I reckon. A classic of imported Hungarian commie manufacture, and one of the rifles which introduced legions of shooters to airgunning.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    You have, I think, an old Relum/FEG breakbarrel or telly. Its an early one 1960s I reckon. A classic of imported Hungarian commie manufacture, and one of the rifles which introduced legions of shooters to airgunning.

. and put hundreds off!

I thought it was a Relum but the calibre querry put me off. A .20 Relum????

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

. and put hundreds off!

I thought it was a Relum but the calibre querry put me off. A .20 Relum????

ATB
    Ian
    I'll get my digital mic out and check the caliber be to sure, are parts for them available at all? Also forgot to say its a smooth bore - no sign of rifling in the barrel
    Appreciating the help.

Would Relum/ FEG tally with the circled B stamp or could that be a date code? Any idea if there would be any other markings?
    From what i was told it wasn't a bad gun at all in its day, certainly recalled as being better/ lighter/ more powerful than the modern cheapy he's currently using for vermin control - although things are always better looking back
    Thank you

Another vote for something with Relum genes.

Numerous variants/brands, but the excellent Vintage Airgun Gallery is always worth consulting, have a look at the Raven & Junior.

Then there's always Frakor's Wonderwall were most permutations of air rifle reside allowing easy comparison. See the linked photo below...

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    My first air rifle was a Relum (actually branded as TELLY) breakbarrel ,that was all I could afford, 30 years ago.
    Later in life they started my collecting habit ...

Frank
    The calibre question is a bit perplexing, it may simply be that you have some largish .22's (5.6mm) rather than the smaller 5.5mm pellets favoured by the european manufacturers?

The photo isn't very sharp. Some high res close ups of the breech and cylinder may help.
    It could be one of many makes, including Slavia / Carl Gustav / Diana / BSF to name but a few.
    Better pics please.
    Pete.

'BSF' Never!!!!!!!

Although it does appear to have a raised scope rail.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    It does appear to be Relumy, with the front stock screws quite far back and the front of the breech block quite far forwards of the end of the cylinder.
    If you are trying an old "BIG" .22 pellet in it, you would have to hammer it in as the Relum barrels are quite tight anyhow. Webley Harriers would not go in a lot of foreign barrels. The smooth bore is interesting. I wonder whether the barrel has been drilled out by someone or it it for one of the markets where rifled barrels are illegal?
    The other thing that seems odd is the rear sight. From what I can make out, it looks a very basic one that is not adjustable for elevation? I know some of the smaller Relum Slavia rifles had a simple sight like that and also the Gecado 25, which was a Diana 25 for the American market.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Following the links provided in this thread:

It looks like it shares a lot more than it does not, with guns 4 and 5 down from the RHS column here:

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/frak...FEG03.jpg.html

The stock seems identical to Gun 4's (except the cheekpiece) and the breechblock same as Gun 5's.

Then you have the rounded breech jaws, the articulated cocking linkage, the profile of the barrel, the trigger guard, the trigger profile...

Re the scope (?) rail that seems to me to be more suited to fitting an aperture sight and I would not accord it much importance for ID purposes because these were commonly silver soldered on by gunsmiths, I have a Diana 50 that has had one done (over the logo... ).

The rearsight also looks like something a gunsmith may have grafted on.

For all we know, the cheek piece may have been removed, too, it's not a given that it was never present. There was a lot of time and opportunity for people to have their way with this gun from the time it was new to the present day...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I thought that it might have been and old Ojmar or Haenal at first, but on checking it's similar but different.

Vic Thompson.

It deffo looks Relum, I wonder if, Being smoothbore if someone has bored a .177" out to .20/5mm? and left it smootbore as home rifling would be difficult I think

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The .20 calibre is decidedly odd, unless Relum were way ahead of the pack!

Could be a mis-sized bore?

Sorry for the delay, just got some more photos taken and editted the first post to add them in, hopefully this is enough for a positive ID so I can order up some spares - as you can see the cocking lever is broken - I guess metal fatigue. I'm honestly not worried about what its worth (probably not much anyway) as its got sentimental value as I learned to shoot with it, and I could do with something for rat control if I can get it fixed up again.
    The bore size might be a red herring, the pellets same from a mate who probably bought the cheapest ones he could find down the market. I'll beg or borrow a couple of decent ones to try it with properly to find out if it is a 0.20 or not.