Thread: advice on springers

advice on springers

Hi, I'm new to bbs, can any one suggest a good springer to use standing as I have arthritis and need a light weight.

For a lighter springer i would likely go with a Weihrauch Hw99s or a Hw95. Both high quality rifles.

not much more to add other than also have a look at the walther challenger or the terrus both similar weight.
    Last edited by davymole; 28-01-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Thumbs up light springer

thanks, not sure about the hw99 as I was told they are not easy to tune , will probably go with the 95 or 97.

A 22 HW99s at 12ft lbs doesn't need much doing to it. Just a debur, polish and relube and proper fitting delrin guide and top hat. They shoot pretty well even without these basic fettles.

A set back trigger and barrel weight or shroud are nice, but not essential.

The HW95 needs short stroking to work at its best.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Try before you buy, make sure you can cock it without pain also. The 99s can be a bit hard. The LGV is one of the easiest, but it weighs a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmr View Post
    thanks, not sure about the hw99 as I was told they are not easy to tune , will probably go with the 95 or 97.
    The 99 is a great rifle, the 97 you mention is no lightweight
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Me again, well I found the 99s hard to cock and heavy. Yes its a nice gun but if you have health issues it aint for you.

Why not think about a co2 rifle! The qb78 is a beaut, light weight no cocking required obviously and very accurate. Just a thought!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Does it need to be full power ?

If not, then you have many more options that will be easier to cock... for example the Hw50, meteor, slavia 631/4, the list is endless...

Even at full power, the terus is easy to manage, the classic FWB sport is very easy to cock and lightweight, accurate, just needs a trigger fettle.

Which brings up another question - does it need to be new ?

I think we all would need to understand your requirements better to narrow down the list of potentials....

light weight

I too have problems with hefty rifles now more oftern with the repertition of cocking and holding 10 lbs ish on target.
    When i do i pull out either the old bsa supersport at 6.6 lbs or the slavia .
    Both are easy to cock and lighter than most.
    If im honest i like the supersport more.
    Always overlooked and underated by lots of people ,but ive had a few both birmingham made and even the spanish version and they were nice .

Admittedly betterFettled but for full power light weight with natural ease of use i prefer it a nice slim forestock too.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmr View Post
    Hi, I'm new to bbs, can any one suggest a good springer to use standing as I have arthritis and need a light weight.
    Diana 31 / 34

If too heavy an old Webley - about the lightest springers most folk can shoot off hand accurately with, 22 if going Webley though, either cal for Diana

I'd stay clear of anything lighter than the above 2 personally in springer
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Welcome on board, Keith.

If high power and long range ability are not high on the list, also consider the lovely little Weihrauch HW30S. A brilliant little lightweight. Amazingly accurate with very refined manners and low cocking effort. Very, very accurate and forgiving to shoot.

More and more shooters, even those that already own larger, more powerful guns, are warming to the charms of this delightful little high quality sweetheart of the spring gun world.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

advice on springers

thanks for the advice, I am more interested in 177 rather than 22 as I only shoot targets, mainly indoors at Atherton indoor range,
    I went to an outdoor range in Blackburn last week for the first time that was very good, that's the main reason I'm thinking of a springer so I don't have to take an air bottle.

barral lenth

does the barrel length vary much? just thinking longer might be easer to cock.