Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new springers

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    " is getting old in the tooth somewhat"

depends on what you thinks getting old as the TX was designed on the HW77 and the new Walther LGU was a copy of the TX.
    but the walther is new, not old, maybe a development of the tx has the tx is of the hw77 and all that goes back to the Lincoln Jeffries. , and all for that. But I would like a new gun, not a re-issue myself anways thats my thoughts, over to you lot.
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 30-01-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    What could be changed, well evreything if its new whats so contrivershall about that
    Neatly sidestepping the question.

So what would you suggest it gets changed to, it is a spring piston airgun, exactly what should be changed to make this notional revolutionary 'new' gun? There are only so many ways to present the package.

Just because you are bored with it doesn't detract from the quality of a design.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    but the walther is new, not old,
    The LGU may well be a new rifle for Walther/Umarex, but there is nothing about it that is either radical or new, it takes a set of well known principles that have been around for some time and pops them into a package that has a few cosmetic differences adding in a few mild tweaks.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 30-01-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Neatly sidestepping the question.

So what would you suggest it gets changed to, it is a spring piston airgun, exactly what should be changed to make this notional revolutionary 'new' gun? There are only so many ways to present the package.

Just because you are bored with it doesn't detract from the quality of a design.

The LGU may well be a new rifle for Walther/Umarex, but there is nothing about it that is either radical or new, it takes a set of well known principles that have been around for some time and pops them into a package that has a few cosmetic differences adding in a few mild tweaks.
    with respect, you seem to suggest I am dissrespecting the tx, I am not I am simply asking for a new springer from air arms, not a reissue, thats not neatly sidesteeping any question.Now
    the walther is new, it ,may well use has you say well known principles but it dose do it in a new- repeeat new package and thats what I wont to see from air arms.You may be happy with the same product all the time, me I am not. Now you tell me whats the problem with asking for new!!!! really new

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    "good has a TX can be its an old design now"

Maybe but its an old design, that walther copied for good reason.
    Though i think they should respec the TX200 for optimal sub 12fpe, maybe they should do a few mods like the HW97 did over the HW77, a wider loading port on the TX would be nice.
    Ditto

No that is not what I am doing at all. I am intrigued to get an idea of what would need to be done for them to produce a 'new' spring rifle.

Lets take a hypothetical position that AA dropped the TX and they had introduced the LGU as their 'new' model - would it just be looked on as a variant of the TX? Now I am not knocking the LGU either it is a good rifle but there is nothing radical about it.

The limitations of what is needed to make a functional rifle means there is only so much that can be changed.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    No that is not what I am doing at all. I am intrigued to get an idea of what would need to be done for them to produce a 'new' spring rifle.

Lets take a hypothetical position that AA dropped the TX and they had introduced the LGU as their 'new' model - would it just be looked on as a variant of the TX? Now I am not knocking the LGU either it is a good rifle but there is nothing radical about it.

The limitations of what is needed to make a functional rifle means there is only so much that can be changed.
    agree on that, but why not a new break barell, they did it before with the excellent Pro elite so why not now!

I'd love to see a WFTF version of the TX - i.e. better setup for sub 12 fpe.

• Redesign the piston seal - something more akin to the HW seal is more efficient
    • Lighten the piston (and dump that piston weight and steel top hat)
    • Either remove the front piston bearing or make it actually do something
    • Shorten the stroke to somewhere around the Mk1/Mk2 or possibly less
    • Redesign the comp tube and while you're at it shorten the transfer port
    • Fit an adjustable trigger blade (like Rowan Engineering's TX trigger blade)
    • Guides that fit snuggly would be nice

Slap that in a nice new stock with adjustable cheek piece and butt pad, and also leave the inletting the same so existing stocks will fit it.

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post

• Redesign the piston seal - something more akin to the HW seal is more efficient

Slap that in a nice new stock with adjustable cheek piece and butt pad, and also leave the inletting the same so existing stocks will fit it.

Job done
    now youre talking, yes I would all that aa needs to do is read this forum
    the tallent here could help them design a new world renowneded rifle.

Assuming engineering costs could make it viable, what about bringing back a recoiless / semi-recoiless (sled?) System with all of the aforementioned enhancements… just a thought…
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Walther LGU .177 + Hawke 6-24×50 ir

Quote Originally Posted by cris sharp View Post
    Assuming engineering costs could make it viable, what about bringing back a recoiless / semi-recoiless (sled?) System with all of the aforementioned enhancements… just a thought…
    thats another good one, my series 1 sr tx was one of the best rifles I had, had to sell it has I nedded a big job done on the car replace it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by cris sharp View Post

Bear in mind that AA discontinued the SR as it was too expensive to make. It is extremely unlikely that they would try again.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Job done
    I like it

The Pro Elite wasnt all that.
    I had one and hated it down to its fuse wire like spring.
    AA are trapped now.
    They made the tx200 to beat the 77's.
    Now Walther have made the LG's to beat the TX's.
    Its great for us as users, but the prices are getting stupid.
    What will happen is Hatsan or another lower rung brand will build a giant beater - a premium range - if you will- and the price will knock the others out of the game.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Job done
    As above.

Also, has there sometimes been a question mark over cocking shoes?

As this rifle is so well proven and has stood the test of time, I think EVOLUTION rather than REVOLUTION would be more than sufficient. No need for a TOTALLY new and expensive design.

And +1 for a break barrel version too, please!

P.S. Re piston seal. What about an 'O' ring piston head? Very efficient and proven in many TX conversions. Cheaper production costs and cheaper replacement costs for the owner.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The Brown Bess musket was issued to the army for over 100 years with minimal changes to its design.
    I guess the point I'm making is, if the design works and ticks the boxes, they probably don't see the need to change it.

I would like to see a breakbarrel AA rifle though