Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbine or full length barrel ?

Carbine or full length barrel ?

which is the best performance !!?? carbine barrel or standard full length barrel (BSA R10 M2 )
    any opinion please cheers

You always get more shots per charge with a full length PCP barrel vs a carbine. But I'd still get the carbine.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Depends what you define as "Best performance" ?!

Handling, power, efficiency, looks, price?

Accuracy is the same.
    Master Debater

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    Generally speaking, longer barrels usually have better air efficiency (more shots per fill or the same number of shots at a higher muzzle energy, or higher maximum muzzle energy if tuned to FAC spec), plus slightly better accuracy and slightly flatter trajectory. Most shooters won't be good enough to notice the difference in accuracy and trajectory.
    A larger air reservoir can be fitted under the long barrel which adds to the shot count advantage.
    The downside: they are clumsier (especially in confined spaces) and heavier - especially front end weight.

The one to choose depends on how it suits your shooting needs and how it fits your body shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffybuck View Post
    Generally speaking, longer barrels usually have better air efficiency (more shots per fill or the same number of shots at a higher muzzle energy, or higher maximum muzzle energy if tuned to FAC spec), plus slightly better accuracy and slightly flatter trajectory. Most shooters won't be good enough to notice the difference in accuracy and trajectory.
    A larger air reservoir can be fitted under the long barrel which adds to the shot count advantage.
    The downside: they are clumsier (especially in confined spaces) and heavier - especially front end weight.

The one to choose depends on how it suits your shooting needs and how it fits your body shape.
    Thank you matey that was very helpful if you don't mind if I ask you ! If you asked which r10 you like to choose from the bull barrel or VC with silencer which one you go for? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Depends what you define as "Best performance" ?!

Handling, power, efficiency, looks, price?

Accuracy is the same.
    Handling, power & efficiency that's what I am after, look and price doesn't really matter cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    You always get more shots per charge with a full length PCP barrel vs a carbine. But I'd still get the carbine.
    Can you please explain why? You choose the carbine cheers

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by massa View Post
    Handling, power & efficiency that's what I am after, look and price doesn't really matter cheers
    Handling is a personal preference you will have to try both.

Power will be the same unless your going with a FAC.

Efficency will be better with the longer barrel.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Handling is a personal preference you will have to try both.

Power will be the same unless your going with a FAC.

Efficency will be better with the longer barrel.
    Thanks matey all the opinion direct me to word the long barrel cheers

Carbine for me, simply because I do most of my shooting from a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
    Carbine for me, simply because I do most of my shooting from a truck.
    I don't shoot from a truck.... and so a full lengeth barrel will do me fine. (And it does).

Thank you matey that was very helpful if you don't mind if I ask you ! If you asked which r10 you like to choose from the bull barrel or VC with silencer which one you go for? Cheers
    A mate had the same question and was told by all the rfds he spoke with that the bull barrel is next to useless on the r10 and if you are concerned about noise reduction to go with the vc and mod. As for carbine or full length it depends what sort of shooting you intend to do. I have a full length and it is a proper pain in the arse when shooting from vehicles or woods to the point I am considering getting a carbine.

Thumbs up ....... Get the VC

Longer barrels are quieter too!
    . . . Please INDICATE when overtaking cyclists !!

Can you please explain why? You choose the carbine cheers
    Nothing complicated mate, I just like shorter guns. And fat shrouded / bull barrels.

The only full-length I can think of that I'd choose would be a TX200. Only because the better looking TXHC is a bugger to cock after a while.

In the case of the r-10 though, the VC does seem popular, so its probably better...
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 29-01-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    I would always choose the regular version of a rifle or carbine, not a bull-barrel version.

Bull barrel silencers are less effective than ordinary silencers and often add more front end weight. Some people like Bull barrels for the looks, and in the USA it allows a gun to be semi-silenced without needing a true silencer which they're not allowed to have.

For my hunting, I prefer carbines. I use the HW100K and have used the Air Arms S410K and TDR in the past.