Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100s+ Pics for all LOVERS of 'BSA and Lincoln Jeffries Vintage air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    That's the problem.... i can't STOP looking at the damn gallery.
    I wish i'd never found it. My eyes are red, my back is sore, i can't sleep - uggghhhhhh
    Don't worry that's normal, the only cure is to be able to go to sleep after you have put yours back in the rack and they are there in the morning, I say THEY not IT because they don't like living alone.

edbear2 Guest
    What is a reasonable chrono output for .177 and .22 for these ?
    I know its a very general question - but i'd love to get some feedback on your own guns [year/model/calibre/ft lbs] to compare
    Hi, depends on the length of gun, generally three lengths are commonly found ...Light / Ladies at around 39" long, only in .177 a good one will be around 600fps,

Standard length Lincoln's / B's / D's later 1919-39 C and S models. These can go up to 725 fps if fresh inside, again 99% are in .177

45" Guns...pre 1919 known as Sporting or at the end of production Standard model (.22 / .25) then again from 1919-39 as standard no2 (.22) or C.S. / Club Special / Club Standard (.177).

These long guns can be full power, with the earlier Sporting .22 normally making high 10's to full power and even slightly over (up to 600fps and beyond in .22!)

The 1919-39 45" .22 guns usually had a different piston / rod and these seem to top out at 560-70 I have found.

The 1919-39 45" .177 guns can go up to high 700's in fps.

I have omitted some rarer guns found, and been simplistic but the above is a basic guide. I have used FPS and these figures are using fairly light waisted pellets as would have been available originally.

Bear in mind these figures are for either little used, or rebuilt and run-in gins in good order, these guns are all getting older now, and although built to a very high standard originally, may have had generations of neglect and abuse, so always chrono/ test fire for accuracy any example you are intent on using to see how it shoots. They do vary and some which have had all sorts down the barrel may not be accurate.

ATB, Ed

This is apparently described as a 1912, Improved model D, single hole Trigger block, serial: 27843.
    It has the side catch on the underlever.

The gun dealer is the owner for last 25 years. His business is mainly a small gun restoration business and very kindly sent scan of relevant page from the John Knibbs books, showing:
    "27530-28029 - manufactured sept 09/Jan 10 - despatched set 09/nov 11 - BSA Standard 0.177 & 0.22...."

Chrono results are from 7.5 gr:
    1 shot 485
    2 489
    3 501
    4 500
    5 499
    My calculation gives me 4.16 ft lbs

Even though this is a gun restoration biz, he resisted doing anything too it as very original.
    Describes compression as very good. Mechanically all sound and complete.

I'm inclined to buy this as background for the gun seems so good.

BUT: want it to shoot well....
    ....so presumably SPRINGS are easy to source (as compression seems to indicate the seal and air chamber are in good condition)?

Question on springs

...didn't realise until now that the spring system is 'double springs'...
    If i am replacing - do i source 2 x springs -or is there an alternative 1 x spring that is 'better'?

[OR: is there a very good reason it should be TWO springs - ie mechanical design?]

Model A

I have taken pictures of my 'old un' on my phone but can't fathom out how to put them on here, anyone help?

edbear2 Guest
    ...didn't realise until now that the spring system is 'double springs'...
    If i am replacing - do i source 2 x springs -or is there an alternative 1 x spring that is 'better'?

[OR: is there a very good reason it should be TWO springs - ie mechanical design?]
    Hi, the double spring system was an idea to counteract torque on firing, the springs were opposite wound. A single spring works fine and you will not, or barely notice the difference in feel.

Spring wise try here;

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...coln-Jeffries/

Here;

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/bsa-...jor-parts.html

and here;

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24301/Lincoln/

You may find that you will have to shorten springs, It is getting harder to get a good replacement that drops in these days.

ATB, Ed

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scratch View Post
    I have taken pictures of my 'old un' on my phone but can't fathom out how to put them on here, anyone help?
    Hi, you cannot post photos direct in this section (possibly to save bandwidth on the website as it would get over loaded), you have to load them onto a photo host like flikr / photobucket etc. and then copy and paste a link so people can view that way

HTH, Regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi, the double spring system was an idea to counteract torque on firing, the springs were opposite wound. A single spring works fine and you will not, or barely notice the difference in feel.

Spring wise try here;

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...coln-Jeffries/
    http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/bsa-...jor-parts.html
    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24301/Lincoln/
    RIGHTO: Single spring - shorten as required (eg 1 x coil if necessary) - Many thanks for info.

I've got another thread on the go at the moment about washers/springs for a webley mk3 i already have, as springs seem much stiffer - eg: 'Titan'.
    Having spoken to Airgunspares AND Proteksupplies it now appears they both source from same supplier (whereas they used to have access to a 'softer' product). I'll see if gunspares have a different product available for the BSA (and Webley).

wow.... despite pics that don't do it justice (no offense intended) - that is restoration work to a remarkable standard. There may be purists out there that say you shouldn't - but, though different from what was its original spec, this is a truly beautiful gun. And the old stock is in such good nick as well! Thank you so much for taking the time to source the pics.

Makes me seriously want to consider getting one in poor 'surface' condition and produce a highend rebuild....

mod a

you're welcome Chief!

1912 BSA MODEL D FOR SALE (original condition) for £295

This is one that i was looking at. I think it should go to a collector (rather than me) as such 'unspoilt' condition

http://gunrestoration.co.uk/guns/gun....asp?GunID=305

I'm going to seek out something i can lovingly rebuild instead as my introduction to this lovely period in air gun history.

IF THE LINK DOESN'T WORK....
    then try:
    http://gunrestoration.co.uk/guns/guns-for-sale.asp

and scroll down 20 guns

This is one that i was looking at. I think it should go to a collector (rather than me) as such 'unspoilt' condition

http://gunrestoration.co.uk/guns/gun....asp?GunID=305

I'm going to seek out something i can lovingly rebuild instead as my introduction to this lovely period in air gun history.
    When you buy one to restore it is important that all original parts are present, you will have great difficulty in finding original sights,trigger guards, screws,stock bolt cover, you can get repro sights and it depends how you would feel about a 100yr old rifle with repro bits.

good advice and understood. Have already rejected several cheap clinkers for the same reasons... needs to be mechanically complete.
    The Model D (above) was lovely and i know at some point in the future i am going to kick myself for saying NO. Oh well....