Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308

Hi all, is it possible to buy different weight 308 bullet heads so I can work out a good weight/ load for my rifle or do you have to buy them by the hundred and keep altering powder weight etc?

Not that I know of, but threads like this will usually generate offers of a few to try
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

There IS one dealer who will sell bullet of different weights in tens, to make the job of sorting out a good load easier and cheaper, but right now I can't recall who it might be.

Are you a hunter or a paper-puncher? There is a LOT of difference in bullet design between these two elements of shooting. Target type bullets you can buy any amount, but expanding bullets are all counted on your FAC, and only those folks with an appropriate certificate can buy them.

You sound as though you are new to reloading - might that be the case?

Best

tac

Thanks for the replies,
    Yeah tac I'm new to reloading and trying to work a good load for my tikka heavy barrel it's only for target shooting I'm using sierra hpbt at the moment any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper5 View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    Yeah tac I'm new to reloading and trying to work a good load for my tikka heavy barrel it's only for target shooting I'm using sierra hpbt at the moment any help would be appreciated.
    'kay. What weight bullet are you using right now, and what kind of results are you getting/expecting to get?

Got a reloading set-up yet?

Lots of information here on doing just that.

Got any reloading data handbooks yet?

That's the first step.....

How far do you target shoot? Short range - up to 500-600m, or F-TR type shooting?

tac

Hi tac yeah I've got a reloading manual and all the necessary equipment but was wondering how much the different weight bullets would affect accuracy I'm using 168grain Sierra with lapua brass.

Sorry I'm usually at a range of 200m but want to try further and get as close groups as possible

Hi tac yeah I've got a reloading manual and all the necessary equipment but was wondering how much the different weight bullets would affect accuracy I'm using 168grain Sierra with lapua brass.
    If you are getting good results with the bullet weight that you are currently using, then it would be a good idea to try and copy that - for a start. The rate of twist of your barrel [ROT] governs the accuracy of a given bullet weight. A heavier bullet needs a faster ROT and vice versa.

Have you access to a chronograph to figure out how fast the bullet that you are using right now is going?

Then, studying the loading manual[s] for that weight and that velocity will give you a good basis for a copy-cat round. Additional accuracy comes from fine-tuning the load around that velocity using a different propellant and maybe a lighter bullet, but not by much.

The .308Win is THE defintive 'play-around' medium-calibre centerfire - there are probably more loads for it than just about any other calibre on the planet.

tac

I will conograph tomorrow, but I'm unsure of the twist of the barrel how can I work this out ??

I will conograph tomorrow, but I'm unsure of the twist of the barrel how can I work this out ??
    Set up your cleaning rod with jag and patch and push it down the barrel, but don't let the jag exit the muzzle.

Mark the rod where it enters the breech with a felttip or suchlike.

Withdraw the rod and stop when the mark comes round to the same point in rotation.

Measure the distance between the breech and the mark's new position.

That's your twist, as accurately as you need it.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

I'm unsure of the twist of the barrel how can I work this out ??
    Mine has the twist stamped on the side of the action. SAKO 85? 1:12 as standard I believe.

As I noted before, while it's nice to know what your ROT actually is, if you are shooting well with the rounds that you are using NOW, then obviously it is a suitable ROT.

My advice initially is to try and replicate the factory round that is shooting well, or rather, whatever it is that you are shooting well. You say that you are shooting SMKs - so are you reloading these yourself?

Sticking to the factory COL is a good idea, for whatever bullet you end up shooting, although as you get into reloading you might like to experiment with bullet jump in very small increments. Some rifles like
    the bullets to be touching the lands, and some like a little bit of space ot make a jump - we are talking about thousandths of an inch here, BTW, not obviously visible amounts.

Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck.

tac

Most of the people that I know who shoot 308 use the sierra 155 grain 2156 bullet , which is fine up to 1000yds and then they tend to use the 175g matchkings for a 1000 -1200 using N140 or TR 140 powder.
    These chaps mostly use target rifles with a 1:13 twist and they have found that these give the best results rather than 168 g bullets .

ATB
    James

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    SMKs are loaded into RUAG factory and some other factory loads. I think the RUAG were 2155 rather than 2156 though.

Having just canned FTR I have messed about with quite a few 308 loads (no expert) but for what its worth.....

IF

You fancy shooting past 600 yds lay off the 168s. There are a few exceptions to the rule but many of the earlier ones were copies of the (Highly regarded at the time) 168Gr SMK.

This was designed as an 300m match round, and because of the very steep angled boat tail they tend to sulk like hell slowing down at long range. I have seen an otherwise viable load that shoots out to 800 nicely totally loose it and arrive at the target sideways. I know there are exceptions but by and large don't. That said there are some new sierra bullets out with plastic tips that may have sorted it but why bother?

.308 is one of the few rounds where you are spoiled for choice.

My current choice would be (If I was still shooting FTR which I aint, not competitively anyhow) for my 308/303/556 would be RS52 from Nigel at the NSC (and yes, forget all the BS he is still selling the stuff, I got that from him not the rumor mill).

I base this on good reports from my old FTR lot who say it is giving them similar performance to the old H4895 powder, plenty of velocity with less pressure spike. It is supposed to be a very benign powder.

Si also tells me that it is still well priced and seems to work in anything he has tried it in (Including his little 204 Ruger fox basher). Nigel tells me that because of the way it is made (the pellets are steeped in nitro very precisely) it is high performance without being spiky/nasty.

IF you are interested, also consider the little Optimus HBC 155gr bullet from Australia. Unfairly labelled "Aussie shrapnel" by the brand conscious bergerites, these bullets produced genuine sub .3moa groups in my dolphin and in spite of having an "aggressive secant ogive" (their words not mine) loads like a 2156.

The last time I looked they only made one bullet (HBC means high BC) which means they are hot on QC and need only worry about the one process.

I weighed and checked the bearing surfaces on 500. There were only 15 or so that were not within a thou on the BS and the whole lot fell within a tenth of a grain across 500 and were easily batched, although I would not worry for normal shooting they were that good.

My lot cost me $150 for 500 from Foxy. I can say I saw none of the chewed meplats and black gunge you get with the excruciatingly more expensive bergers, and them I know that use them swear by them. The Aussie NRA tried them against Berger 155.5s and went HBC.

Brass......once fired RUAG, Federal, or if you feel the need (and I would do it myself for match use) go Lapua.

There are so many advantages to hand loading
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Most of the people that I know who shoot 308 use the sierra 155 grain 2156 bullet , which is fine up to 1000yds and then they tend to use the 175g matchkings for a 1000 -1200 using N140 or TR 140 powder.
    These chaps mostly use target rifles with a 1:13 twist and they have found that these give the best results rather than 168 g bullets .

ATB
    James
    Please don't overlook that they also use uncommonly long barrels by normal standards - 30" is 'short' and .32" is about the norm. Also that they renew their barrels every year...

tac