Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308

A chap I know who mostly shoots 308 is up to 5000 rounds through the barrel and still performing well with these loads
    ATB
    James

I started selling sample sizes of components (more powder than bullets)
    have a small selection of .30cal but happy to help

drop me a PM

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    A chap I know who mostly shoots 308 is up to 5000 rounds through the barrel and still performing well with these loads
    ATB
    James
    Most barrel damage in the "higher performance" loads often used by F and match etc is not usually down to wear of the bore but fire cracking of the landes where the bullet meets the rifling for the first time.

If your bullet enters and ends up wonky, it may well stay wonky down the barrel. You can shoot way above what is expected if you keep the loads sensible and use a less damaging powder.

Most competitive shooters though just tend to treat them as a consumeable and change when they start going off or ideally between seasons.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Most barrel damage in the "higher performance" loads often used by F and match etc is not usually down to wear of the bore but fire cracking of the landes where the bullet meets the rifling for the first time.

If your bullet enters and ends up wonky, it may well stay wonky down the barrel. You can shoot way above what is expected if you keep the loads sensible and use a less damaging powder.

Most competitive shooters though just tend to treat them as a consumeable and change when they start going off or ideally between seasons.
    Most F-Class shooters of my acquaintance advise me that a barrel lasts just one year/season - as you say, a consumable item.

By comparison, my Krico 650SS has so far had almost 8000 rounds of MINE down it so far, and still shoots five-shot groups around half an inch or so - with a good shooter, that is. I settled on my load long ago - it's a medium load with a medium bullet, and I'm not a 'crank-em-out' shooter. My cases come out stone-cold, and the barrel might get warm, but that's it.

tac