Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsa airsporter

Bsa airsporter

I have come to own recently a BSA Airsporter in .22 cal, It was a bit dirty and rough when I got it, I have cleaned it up a little.
    From what I can see their are 2 faults with it, firstly the butt pad is missing, secondly the plastic catch which you open and close to insert a pellet has part of it snapped off.
    The fore end did have a fine split in it, but that has been sorted.
    It seems to shoot ok, I have used super h point and air arms field through it to see if it shoots ok.
    Could I expect to get around £100 for it?
    I am open to offers, because I really don't have the time or skills to get the best out of this rifle.
    Please feel free to contact me at any time, I will send pics to anyone who asks
    Regards
    Ken

you might expect £100 but you're not going to get it,imo it's worth about £30 with that damage.i've just bought a mk2 in gwo with its etching clear and visible for £50.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    £100 isn't a lot for an Airsporter, the parts that are missing or broken can easily be sourced and shouldn't cost a lot second hand. It's difficult to give valuations based simply on description only (pictures are better) as one persons description of good condition is anothers description of poor.
    £30 is too low - you would get far more than that if you sold it off in parts.
    £50 is very low for a working Mk2 - it must be pretty rough, I have seen the stocks alone sell for that or more!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Agree with Airsporter man, £50 for a good Mk2 with etching is the sort of bargain I long for!
    Recently paid £120 for a Mk2 with all parts present & correct, unbroken stock, but little blueing. Shoots OK, but rough & noisey - think it might have been 'tuned'...
    Interestingly enough, a very clean Mk4 A/S from 1969(?) I bought just before the Mk2 is a total delight to shoot, & my pleasure has been enhanced by being able to fit a modern scope to it.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    you might expect £100 but you're not going to get it,imo it's worth about £30 with that damage.i've just bought a mk2 in gwo with its etching clear and visible for £50.

Oh dear,

I have a MK1 and MK2 at Melbourne on Saturday and was hoping to put a deposit on a yacht with the proceeds

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Apologies for slightly off topic, but when did they stop doing the conical piston head ? I'd like to buy an older one, with scope rails, but not with a conical piston. I think I need a mk3/4 ? However for £50 for a good condition mk2, I'd take it regardless of piston head - I'm sure £100-£150 is a very safe range for such a gun !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Apologies for slightly off topic, but when did they stop doing the conical piston head ? I'd like to buy an older one, with scope rails, but not with a conical piston. I think I need a mk3/4 ? However for £50 for a good condition mk2, I'd take it regardless of piston head - I'm sure £100-£150 is a very safe range for such a gun !
    Mk1s and Mk2s had the conical piston head, not sure about the Mk3 - some early ones may and some later ones may not. Mk4 on do not!
    May be possible to fit a mk1/2 conical head piston to Mk4s on (or vica-versa) - not sure, perhaps someone who has done this or knows could help confirm?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

i bought it from a shop too,he doesn't like older stuff as it's outside of his sphere of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    i bought it from a shop too,he doesn't like older stuff as it's outside of his sphere of knowledge.
    His loss - your gain!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    The conical piston disappeared with the Mk4, but was replaced with a rather stupid twin O ring design, it didn't get down to a single O ring piston head until the Mk6, but then it still has a largely pointless buffer washer taking up 5 mill of swept volume. Putting a sensible piston head on anything from the Mk4 onwards is simple, you could do it with hand tools as I have proved a couple of times in my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    The conical piston disappeared with the Mk4, but was replaced with a rather stupid twin O ring design, it didn't get down to a single O ring piston head until the Mk6, but then it still has a largely pointless buffer washer taking up 5 mill of swept volume. Putting a sensible piston head on anything from the Mk4 onwards is simple, you could do it with hand tools as I have proved a couple of times in my youth.
    so was that just down to cost
    or is the latter assembly more efficent

Reading through this... where did you all guess it was a Mk2? It has a but pad missing so must be a MK3/4 onwards
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Reading through this... where did you all guess it was a Mk2? It has a but pad missing so must be a MK3/4 onwards
    We didn't - the first post was about a mk3 or 4, the second post was about what was paid for a mk2.
    Two conversations going at the same time!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    We didn't - the first post was about a mk3 or 4, the second post was about what was paid for a mk2.
    Two conversations going at the same time!

ASM

I suppose its only saddo Airsporter nuts like us that would notice.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    I suppose its only saddo Airsporter nuts like us that would notice.
    Less of the saddo - nuts I accept mate!
    Irrational though innit?

ASM