Thread: Do you need a variation to add an antique to the FAC?

Do you need a variation to add an antique to the FAC?

I recently sent my FAC with a request to add an antique .41" percussion muzzleloading rifle to my FAC.

I also included a transfer form for a centrefire rifle I have just sold.

They sent everything back, including the tranfer form for the centre fire rifle. I can understand the request for more information about the antique, but why send the transfer form back? It has nothing to do with the antique rifle.

They stated they cannot process my request to add the .41" cal rifle to my FAC. They said they need to know how long I have had the rifle and want to know its history. The gumaker ceased trading in approximately 1860.

.I posted the transfer form back to them, for the centrefire rifle today so they can process the sale of the rifle and remove it from my ownership.

It now seems that I have to fill in a variation form before they will consider my request.

Is this a new procedure for adding antiques?

All I did was request calibre.....ie 570/450
    Then when granted I just wrote no visible serial etc and already owned.
    This is what west yorkshire police told me to do

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    In short - yes (unless you already have permission to acquire).

Adding an antique firearm to your FAC is a VARIATION to the FAC, so you need a "permission to acquire" slot to allow it to be added. They will want to ensure that you have appropriate storage (once on ticket the gun can no longer be hanging on the wall), demonstrable good reason, and that your total holding does not take you over whatever arbitrary limits you particular force uses. The fact that you already own the gun is immaterial.

As to its history, I presume that you bought the gun as an antique so just tell them what you know about it (when and how you acquired it), or tell them to swivel as this has absolutely no bearing on the variation process and it is none of their business.

I know several collector/shooters who frequently add and remove items in their collection for the occasional shoot - daft innit?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I've just obtained an early Canadian three-band Snider - a conversion MkI on a P53 rifle with a lock dated 1862. Eventually I intend to shoot it by first putting it on my FAC, but I live in one of those counties where a former CC decided to arbitrarily limit the number of Section 1 firearms, and 'insisting' on the installation of RFD-level home security and a monitored alarm system as and when that figure was reached, making it a condition of the FAC.

As we know to our cost, the ever-increasing use of single-shot black powder rifles of archaic design is rising dramatically all over the UK, and it is this burgeoning threat to public safety that must remain foremost in the minds of the licensing authorities at all times.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 07-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.

I have applied for many slot permissions for muzzle-loader pistols, 3 in each of the main calibers, if only because the replica revolvers are often hard to sell quickly, and rarer ones you may be seeking have to be grabbed soon as you see them appear on the sales sites. I can't find £26 each time.

It struck me, that I could buy a hundred serviceable antique revolvers and not need any placed on a ticket. So I hope I get the permissions for what are the same thing...

All my antiques were readily permission'd for live firing, and 'no visible serial number' applied.