Thread: Uncle Ernie has bequeathed you £2.5k to spend on airguns...

Uncle Ernie has bequeathed you £2.5k to spend on airguns...

OK, it's almost the weekend...

You have just received a bequest of £2,500 from a distant relative who knew about your hobby. He specified in his will that you spend every penny on vintage airguns and asked that you think of him every time you take them out for a spin.

Choices, choices!

For myself, I think I would spend the lot on just one or two fine guns. Maybe a really nice no.3 Bore BSA Improved Mod D if I could get one for that kind of money. Maybe an Improved Britannia - ugly but intriguing - and a nice Greener.

But it's also tempting to think that I could afford a set of boxed Webley pistols. I covet boxed examples of the pre-War MK2 Target and Seniors (slant and straight grip) in particular, maybe plus a few post-War Seniors and Premiers thrown in.

Or, thinking about it, maybe that sort of cash should be put towards something really historical, like a ball reservoir or butt reservoir type rifle?

So what would you buy, and why?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    probably an ISP spartan in nice not too showy wood and engraving
    Gun control means using both hands.

air gun jewels

Danny,I found it took Uncle Ernie's and Aunty Maude's donations to aquire that jolly IMBritannia!

V Glide 25mm an old Mark 1 80, add a few bits etc maybe polish & black

Pick up a couple of Original 45s again , cause I like em, have a modern spring set fitted

Maybe have a nice under lever, I liked the BSA Superstar I let my friend buy to pay for my BSA Hornet

Give a Webley Tomahawk another go, maybe in fac
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Hi Danny

There is the dilemma of having all that lovely money with nothing suitable on sale. I've lost count of the number of Arms Fairs I have been to in my early days of collecting and fantasy spending thousands, then having some hard earned cash in a back pocket and not finding anything suitable to spend it on either at fairs or privately.

If I could choose whatever I wanted within that budget and it was available, it would have to be an original cased Webley Service air rifle with matching barrels in all 3 calibres and a full compliment of accessories including pellets, cleaning rod and suitable jags. Not forgetting an original Webley oil can. Then I could seriously test all 3 calibres, which were factory matched to an action. Oh and a suitable supply of original disposable pellets that have not oxidised thrown in would be nice too, along with the original receipt and other provenance that told me something of the original owner's life.

I'll stop now as I'm salivating

John

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Danny,I found it took Uncle Ernie's and Aunty Maude's donations to aquire that jolly IMBritannia!
    We should have used the Lottery money to save that for the nation, although I shouldn't rock the boat - I keep harvesting your Bedfords. I'm back in April to collect a 55,000 mile J0.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Uncle Ernie

Mach 1...Why...the best springer ever made..but i may have to add a little to the 2.5k he let me!!!! Mach 1.5

Danny,

This is your fault. I started daydreaming when I took the dog out this morning and we walked 7 miles before breakfast. I have another fantasy buy. Imagine being offered a BSA Home Sport kit consisting of a 2 hole Trigger Block Standard No 1 with clear etching, a fitted No 21A aperture sight and matching No 19 foresight consisting of globe and aperture. There would also be 2 packs of 1000 BSA pellets, one opened and one sealed, a BSA Bell Target, BSA paint and brush, handbook, celluloid cleaning rod and some oil. All housed in an original box (presumably that is how they were sold).

Right I'm off to the range with a Webley Mark I pistol to mangle a tin can. The inspiration this time comes from Gingernut's very fine example, posted on another thread yesterday.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    OK, it's almost the weekend...

You have just received a bequest of £2,500 from a distant relative who knew about your hobby. He specified in his will that you spend every penny on vintage airguns and asked that you think of him every time you take them out for a spin.

Choices, choices!

For myself, I think I would spend the lot on just one or two fine guns. Maybe a really nice no.3 Bore BSA Improved Mod D if I could get one for that kind of money. Maybe an Improved Britannia - ugly but intriguing - and a nice Greener.

But it's also tempting to think that I could afford a set of boxed Webley pistols. I covet boxed examples of the pre-War MK2 Target and Seniors (slant and straight grip) in particular, maybe plus a few post-War Seniors and Premiers thrown in.

Or, thinking about it, maybe that sort of cash should be put towards something really historical, like a ball reservoir or butt reservoir type rifle?

So what would you buy, and why?
    For me it would have to be a Giffard pistol and a BSA millitary pat, l might just be able to get both for that money if l am lucky, but there again l have no chance as l don't have an uncle anybody any more.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    No doubt the cost had something to do with the incredible distance it had to travel to get to you, Trev!

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Danny,

Imagine being offered a BSA Home Sport kit consisting of a 2 hole Trigger Block Standard No 1 with clear etching, a fitted No 21A aperture sight and matching No 19 foresight consisting of globe and aperture. There would also be 2 packs of 1000 BSA pellets, one opened and one sealed, a BSA Bell Target, BSA paint and brush, handbook, celluloid cleaning rod and some oil. All housed in an original box (presumably that is how they were sold).
    Mmm, that sounds lovely, John. I'd give quite a good chunk of my bequest just to have the original box TBH. (I'd photograph it and sell it on, probably...).

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    For me it would have to be a Giffard pistol and a BSA millitary pat, l might just be able to get both for that money if l am lucky, but there again l have no chance as l don't have an uncle anybody any more.
    I think you would have to be very lucky indeed, Mick. I would expect most or all of £2.5k to be needed to buy just one of those guns.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A hammerless Giffard to top off my Giffard collection.

Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!