Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
This all started because I was intrigued that a new spring supplied as the direct replacement from two suppliers (see other thread for this by the way) doesn't work as well as the old knackered spring. I love my Webley Mk3. Its serial is 9350 - bought new by my dad and (probably) one of the first things i ever shot. It is older than me, and deserves a replacement part (specially one as fundamental as the mainspring) that is suitable.

This isn't about trying to get it to perform better than originally intended - it is about finding the part to suit the gun as originally designed.

I really appreciate your input (i liked your comments and help on the other thread too) - but wouldn't it be nice to get a spring that matches the original spec?

Any idea how many other owners are out there?
I know someone has got figures from a book i don't have?

[Incidentally: ...the sales office at this spring manufacturer considers one hundred units a feasible production run]
Here, here! See my recent topic on Webley pistol springs too.

I think though, it will be difficult to carbon copy the original in feel and performance. There must be so many variables in steel composition, wire gauge, wire profile, heating, 'coiling' method etc. I'm sure the 'originals' probably varied a fair bit too over the production period?