Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP on the up and up?

BP on the up and up?

Is it just in my club where BP shooting is on the dramatic increase? I know I do tend to encourage new (full) members to put a BP pistol or rifle, or both, on their FAC app, but I'm finding that they are all keen to do it anyway.

When newcomers or even old lags are on the range I always to encourage them to have a blat with one of my BP guns and they all end up with the 'blackpowder grin'.

If it is a resurging pastime then it's time to get some comps going.

How's it going in other clubs?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

My Colt Walker has got a few converts from the. 22 paper punchers
    Careful with that axe Eugene

Hi I'm in the Kent, and at my club BP/pyrodex is also on the up, a very good past time indeed.but of course the clean up after shooting is still a pain some like it some don't but its as you say increasing well at my club it is.Comps we do two which are the Ian Burdon league and K.C.S.S.A league
    Regards Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Hi I'm in the Kent, and at my club BP/pyrodex is also on the up, a very good past time indeed.but of course the clean up after shooting is still a pain some like it some don't but its as you say increasing well at my club it is.Comps we do two which are the Ian Burdon league and K.C.S.S.A league
    Regards Frank
    Please explain clean up after shooting?

I clean my BP guns at home.

I've never encountered something that seems to be a theme here in UK about people 'not liking'' the variety of guns and/or shooting that goes one while they are shooting alongside. I find it very odd, TTTT. What's not to like? Do the detractors gather in a little mumbling/grumbling klatch while you are shooting? Or is there a general background rhubarb of mumbled mutterings? You do have some strange people in your various clubs, that's for sure. I pay a lot of money to be able to shoot my guns in a gun club, and so far I've never encountered anybody who 'doesn't like' the sight and sound of BP guns going off, with all the commotion that usually attends the occasion. Me, I'd take the grumblers to one side and advise them to lighten up or **** off to a club where they all wear grey pullovers and sandals with grey socks, wear pressed flannels and ties and talk about the good old days when beer was fourpence a pint and a gun license was two and six from the post office. Oh, and black powder was stuff they used to shoot in the old days...

tac

Hi Tac yes you are right in all you have said,but as I said some like the clean up after some don't ,i personally do like it in fact I'm a bit OTT.Still that's me.I think it is the times we live in every thing so slap dash they even clean there guns in a dish washer not every one,but some, well that's there thing.
    Not mine!!!
    Hope this post finds you well Tac, I'm now getting adverage of 70 with Rogers and Spencer which I'm very happy with that,but wrist is playing up at moment,so that may drop.Well take care
    Best Regaurds Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

I wants to be more popular. The only issue is breathing the soot on indoor ranges. My club, and I guess many others, haven't got decent air-extraction yet to cope with Black Powder indoors.

When I shoot BP, I do get occasional nasty-daggers looks at me from a few.

Kinda related ... our club shoots a fair bit of BP and it's popular. But not practical to have as a club gun - no convenient facilities for proper cleaning on-site.

So, we've invested in a club nitro muzzle loading revolver from Anvil Conversions and will have our probabtioners using it to familiarise them to the regimen of muzzle loading. Being nitro burning, the cleanup can be done at the end of shooting session with a bit of Brunox and a rag. We have "ammo kits" already made up with measured powder and alox lubed ball in the armoury so it's as easy as possible for the range officer to supervise.

Personally I love the drama of BP shooting but to be honest, with a revolver I'd rather use my nitro conversion. Single shot pistol however has to be a coal burner - I don't mind cleaning those but I hate having to do the cylinder on a revolver.
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    As a black powder shooter and nitro shooter, I have a rogers and spencer bp revolver which I like shooting, just not a fan on the cleaning afterwards, mainly due to the fact that I shoot evenings at the club and by the time I get home and cleaned up, it's straight to bed as back up for work at 5.30am. I do like the anvil conversions revolvers as there at lot less to clean however there is just something with black powder that makes it enjoyable
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBall View Post
    I wants to be more popular. The only issue is breathing the soot on indoor ranges. My club, and I guess many others, haven't got decent air-extraction yet to cope with Black Powder indoors.

When I shoot BP, I do get occasional nasty-daggers looks at me from a few.
    Air extraction is not the only issue with indoor BP. Nitro and BP substitute powder residue is relatively innocuous, but a build up of BP on an indoor range could lead to unexpected excitement. When we looked into this way back in 1998'ish, the recommendation was to wash down the range after shooting BP. Don't know if this is still the wisdom, but it probably is the reason there are few indoor ranges which allow BP.

Also, I am far less bothered about breathing soot than I am about breathing lead dust/vapour (which is created when shooting lead with nitro). This is why even smallbore indoor ranges should have ventilation to give 9 air changes per hour, venting from the butts end so that the flow is away from the shooters.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Air extraction is not the only issue with indoor BP. Nitro and BP substitute powder residue is relatively innocuous, but a build up of BP on an indoor range could lead to unexpected excitement. When we looked into this way back in 1998'ish, the recommendation was to wash down the range after shooting BP. Don't know if this is still the wisdom, but it probably is the reason there are few indoor ranges which allow BP.

Also, I am far less bothered about breathing soot than I am about breathing lead dust/vapour (which is created when shooting lead with nitro). This is why even smallbore indoor ranges should have ventilation to give 9 air changes per hour, venting from the butts end so that the flow is away from the shooters.
    This is why we are lucky to have extensive outdoor shooting facilities in our club. And Frank, keep it up, Sir - you are doing well!

tac

Quote Originally Posted by markreid View Post
    As a black powder shooter and nitro shooter, I have a rogers and spencer bp revolver which I like shooting, just not a fan on the cleaning afterwards, mainly due to the fact that I shoot evenings at the club and by the time I get home and cleaned up, it's straight to bed as back up for work at 5.30am. I do like the anvil conversions revolvers as there at lot less to clean however there is just something with black powder that makes it enjoyable
    Yep, definitely. Nothing like the flash,bang wallop of 30 grns of b/p in a hand gun. But, the Anvil is just as good to shoot, probably because its based on a Remington. Just not as smokey or smelly. Tim
    Oh eye, and iv only cleaned it once in 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by markreid View Post
    I had that problem, no time and up early next day at 5, not back home until 7PM. Just too damned tired...

Solution I got: Got one of those giant airtight ziplock re-sealable bags that are part of those cheap oven cleaning kits found in most of the 'Pound' shops. After a blat, I place my coked-lump of steel inside with a big silica-gel moisture-absorber pack, you know, those little brown paper bags things full of tiny little silica marbles that you can 'recharge' by heating in an electric oven (gas oven are 'wet').

I did 7 days straight with no signs of rust at all when I came to clean up. Having said that, I do use proper heavily lubed wads when I shoot, they grease the whole gun (and me!) up nicely.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBall View Post
    I had that problem, no time and up early next day at 5, not back home until 7PM. Just too damned tired...

Solution I got: Got one of those giant airtight ziplock re-sealable bags that are part of those cheap oven cleaning kits found in most of the 'Pound' shops. After a blat, I place my coked-lump of steel inside with a big silica-gel moisture-absorber pack, you know, those little brown paper bags things full of tiny little silica marbles that you can 'recharge' by heating in an electric oven (gas oven are 'wet').

I did 7 days straight with no signs of rust at all when I came to clean up. Having said that, I do use proper heavily lubed wads when I shoot, they grease the whole gun (and me!) up nicely.
    Intresting idea, will have to have a look at them. Thanks for the info
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

so just how long does it take to wash your bp guns???

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    so just how long does it take to wash your bp guns???
    It takes me abut twenty minutes to clean a carbine, and half an hour or so to thoroughly clean a revolver.

However, all I can say to anyone bitching about the length of time it takes to clean up after having fun with a gun is to take up crochet work or quilting, or even better, a 'puter game about shooting. At least the thumbs would get some exercise.

tac