Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP on the up and up?

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Yep, definitely. Nothing like the flash,bang wallop of 30 grns of b/p in a hand gun. But, the Anvil is just as good to shoot, probably because its based on a Remington. Just not as smokey or smelly. Tim
    Oh eye, and iv only cleaned it once in 3 months.
    To me, and many others, 'smokey and smelly' is the whole point of shooting BP.

I'd rather have boiling mercury poured into my nailed-open eyes than admit to having fun with one of the modern takes on an original BP handgun, but hey, that's just me. You go right on ahead.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    To me, and many others, 'smokey and smelly' is the whole point of shooting BP.

I'd rather have boiling mercury poured into my nailed-open eyes than admit to having fun with one of the modern takes on an original BP handgun, but hey, that's just me. You go right on ahead.

tac
    All of my day to day BP shooters are modern reproductions of originals. I occasionally fire one of my originals but have plenty of fun with affordable copies. Or are you talking about modern designs using BP to get around the pistol confiscation?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    so just how long does it take to wash your bp guns???
    Stainless ROA, for a complete strip. washout, drying in the oven, cooling time, re-assemble and lube, about two hours, but about an hour of that is drying and cooling so you can do something else. Being stainless I don't do the full strip and wash every time - a quickie takes about 30 minutes. I did find that Pyrodex leaves deposits which take longer to remove than BP and somehow it seemed much less enjoyable.

If you consider it a chore then it is a PITA - I don't, I consider it all part of the BP shooting experience.
    Last edited by Turnup; 23-02-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    All of my day to day BP shooters are modern reproductions of originals. I occasionally fire one of my originals but have plenty of fun with affordable copies. Or are you talking about modern designs using BP to get around the pistol confiscation?
    Yes., but I'm also talking about an original design 'brought up to date' by using converted cylinders/nipples/method of ignition with oversize primers et al. It's rather like shooting a Brown Bess with electronic ignition.

The modern revolvers that are back-dated to muzzle loaders, to me, are simply something to give me amusement. This in no way detracts from the fun that their owners get from them, but as their entire existence is based on tragedy, fallacy and a necessity that no other country on earth has ever given the slightest consideration to forcing on its law-abiding citizens in order to shoot a handgun that still looks like a handgun, they are not for me.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Yes., but I'm also talking about an original design 'brought up to date' by using converted cylinders/nipples/method of ignition with oversize primers et al. It's rather like shooting a Brown Bess with electronic ignition.

The modern revolvers that are back-dated to muzzle loaders, to me, are simply something to give me amusement. This in no way detracts from the fun that their owners get from them, but as their entire existence is based on tragedy, fallacy and a necessity that no other country on earth has ever given the slightest consideration to forcing on its law-abiding citizens in order to shoot a handgun that still looks like a handgun, they are not for me.

tac
    Yes, as a pistol shooter from the eighties I agree with your sentiments. However you have now caused a dilema. You have put an interesting idea in the mind of an inventor- Electronic ignition for a Brown Bess- hmmmm???
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Yes, as a pistol shooter from the eighties I agree with your sentiments. However you have now caused a dilema. You have put an interesting idea in the mind of an inventor- Electronic ignition for a Brown Bess- hmmmm???
    I'm lucky, I'm still a real pistol shooter, although not here. I'm not saying that I'm not happy with my Sabre Defence Systems Custom .357 Ruger Super Redhawk and Burris scope, but I'd be a whole lot happier if the barrel was five inches shorter and that excrescence wasn't sticking out of the butt.

tac