Thread: BSA Light Power

BSA Light Power

Hi all I have two "light " models, one "L" series and one "A" both have been resealed and both are putting out approx. 480f/s. Is this about right for these models?[They both completely disintegrate pellets when fired close range at a steel plate]
    Regards. Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi all I have two "light " models, one "L" series and one "A" both have been resealed and both are putting out approx. 480f/s. Is this about right for these models?[They both completely disintegrate pellets when fired close range at a steel plate]
    Regards. Daveh
    Hi Dave, If resealed with leather they will climb up a bit, normally 525 - 550 is what I have seen from ones I have tested, with near 600 from one I rebuilt that was in good order after a couple of tins (these figures are with hobbys / R10's which are quite light but are great at garden ranges and very accurate normally).

I have found that with a fairly light but draggy fit on the seal before oiling, they need a couple of tins through them to really settle down (I build mine dry and oil afterwards with mineral oil as per original. I know neatsfoot and other oils are recommended but I have never had a problem doing this with lower powered guns).

ATB, Ed

BSA Improved Model D Light Pattern

Hi

Many years ago I had my BSA refreshed by Gerald Cardew who in those days, 1981, was the man. I found the Test Certificate the other day. The results were with:

BSA Pylarm an average of 712 ft/sec. 8.2 ft/lbs

Hobby an average of 641ft/sec. 6.4 ft/lbs.

The energy available from the spring was 33.1 ft/lbs which equated to 24.7% efficiency. As I recall the spring was a cut down Original 35.

Hope this helps.

BSA Light Power

Thanks to Ed and POLO for the replies and info. I shall put more pellets through them. Regards Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!