Thread: Dating a Webley Senior via serial number

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi. Your Senior looks identical to my post war Senior in every respect except the "serial number" . Have you looked under the left hand grip for a batch number? If this is there and the last three digit's of the batch number match the number on the front of your gun then this likely proves it is postwar with a "serial number" added at unknown point in time.
    Can share pictures of mine (batch 1228 and likely date 49-55) if you wish.
    Steve

Smile

I wonder if the pistol was bought, Maybe as part of a batch by a company that used their own serial numbers for their stock and was nothing to do with Webley or someone trying to pass the gun off as an earlier model!!

I have a pre war Mk1 (Wooden grips) that has a barrel that looks more like the later ones, Maybe a bitsa but i'm sure I can recall someone telling that they made a small amount with the shorter barrel (No over hang!)..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 2 shows the barrel length that is normal for the mk's that i've seen before, Does anyone know whether the shorter barrel is from a later pistol or would it have been with the barrel from new??

I think the later barrels all had the knurling as the later one in pic2 (not 100% sure though )

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 15-10-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: cuz eye karnt spel proply!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I wonder if the pistol was bought, Maybe as part of a batch by a company that used their own serial numbers for their stock and was nothing to do with Webley or someone trying to pass the gun off as an earlier model!!

I have a pre war Mk1 (Wooden grips) that has a barrel that looks more like the later ones, Maybe a bitsa but i'm sure I can recall someone telling that they made a small amount with the shorter barrel (No over hang!)..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 2 shows the barrel length that is normal for the mk's that i've seen before, Does anyone know whether the shorter barrel is from a later pistol or would it have been with the barrel from new??

I think the later barrels all had the knurling as the later one in pic2 (not 100% sure though )

John
    It's only human nature to wonder whether our anomalous guns are rare originals, John. But if there's another, far likelier explanation, you have to go with that one every time.

I'm no expert on Webley pistols, but I strongly suspect your Mk1 without barrel extension has a barrel from a later prewar Mk1.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Don't be too despondent. You have a nice condition intact 50's Senior with matching batch number on body and front.
    So it has an additional number stamped on the side by a previous owner. Maybe it was added by a gunclub, maybe it was a rather dim wide boy ... but no matter the pistol is complete and still a good'un!