Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found!

Look what I found!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=149

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=150

It came with its original box marked: ' With the compliments of ACCLES & SHELVOKE LTD. ASTON, BIRMINGHAM 6'

The writing on the pencil states: "CASH" PISTOLS. Accles & Shelvoke Ltd. Birmingham 6'.

Can anyone shed any light on this object. Yes, I know its a propelling pencil but what is the connection with the pistol makers? Is it like the freebie Wheirauch pens we get today?

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 24-02-2015 at 07:48 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

What an exceptionally rare item to find. It's now probably worth more than one of their pistols, particularly with it's box and paperwork.
    I think you are probably correct in your 'Weihrauch Pens' connection, although in those days such freebies were much more common from most manufacturers to their regular customers.
    When my Father was in practice, the amount of blotting cards, pens, pencils etc. that used to arrive from drugs companies and medical equipment suppliers was unbelievable. I've still got a few of the blotting cards.

As above what an interesting find and well spotted. I have an unopened pack of Waddingtons playing cards which has a picture of the cash captive bolt humane killer printed on the cards. So the company were obviously advertising their products on the media available at the time I would think probably pre war.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    "Google" is your friend Ian

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Accles_and_Shelvoke

http://www.acclesandshelvoke.co.uk/p...4/cash-special

Could have been connected with Skipton Auction Mart or a local abattoir??

ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Well the Mrs found in a charity shop in Skipton. Well, you have to do your bit for charity.

It came with its original box marked: ' With the compliments of ACCLES & SHELVOKE LTD. ASTON, BIRMINGHAM 6'

The writing on the pencil states: "CASH" PISTOLS. Accles & Shelvoke Ltd. Birmingham 6'.

Can anyone shed any light on this object. Yes, I know its a propelling pencil but what is the connection with the pistol makers? Is it like the freebie Wheirauch pens we get today?

ATB
    Ian
    Great bit of history, Ian. Maybe the sort of thing that was handed out to farmers and abbatoir owners?

The pistol referred to is quite stunning. (Even I groaned as I wrote that...)
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    "Google" is your friend Ian

ATB
    Mike.
    My only friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Great bit of history, Ian. Maybe the sort of thing that was handed out to farmers and abbatoir owners?

The pistol referred to is quite stunning. (Even I groaned as I wrote that...)
    Quite rightly so. Even I wouldn't stoop that low.

ATB
    Ian

Hi Ian,

As I believe has already been referenced, but just incase.

Accles and Shelvoke Ltd was formed to manufacture a captive bolt pistol as a humane method of killing animals. The “CASH” pistol was first manufactured by Accles and Shelvoke Ltd around 1913. The idea for such a humane method of killing animals had been conceived by Mr Christopher Cash (of J. and J. Cash) having seen the crude slaughtering instruments in use in 1910. He discussed his idea with Mr J. G. Accles, well-known in England as an authority on guns and explosive weapons of different kinds. After several years of experimenting, a weapon for stunning animals was developed and it was named after Mr Cash[6].
    Manufacture of the CASH pistol was interrupted by the First World War.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Ian,

As I believe has already been referenced, but just incase.

Accles and Shelvoke Ltd was formed to manufacture a captive bolt pistol as a humane method of killing animals. The “CASH” pistol was first manufactured by Accles and Shelvoke Ltd around 1913. The idea for such a humane method of killing animals had been conceived by Mr Christopher Cash (of J. and J. Cash) having seen the crude slaughtering instruments in use in 1910. He discussed his idea with Mr J. G. Accles, well-known in England as an authority on guns and explosive weapons of different kinds. After several years of experimenting, a weapon for stunning animals was developed and it was named after Mr Cash[6].
    Manufacture of the CASH pistol was interrupted by the First World War.

Regards

Brian
    So this pencil pre dates WW1?

Thank you everyone for your relpies, yes, including you Mike(C4)

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Ian, the earlier cash pistols were huge great things I think the Birmingham 6 postcode was Aston and Witton area.

What is the legality status of a captive bolt gun by the way

ATB, Ed

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Well the Mrs found in a charity shop in Skipton. Well, you have to do your bit for charity.

ATB
    Ian
    Hope it`s a left hander
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Hope it`s a left hander
    It cant spell.

A fascinating piece of memorabilia. Many thanks for posting those photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Ian, the earlier cash pistols were huge great things I think the Birmingham 6 postcode was Aston and Witton area.

What is the legality status of a captive bolt gun by the way

ATB, Ed
    So this great awkward thing is a Cash pistol.

Nice find

On Monday I found and bought this http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=17 in a junky shop in Bowness on Windemere.
    When I home and had chance to read it I discovered there was very little if anything inside relating to air guns so that was a whole pound wasted. I shall pass it onto a fellow club member who has shown a past interest in firearms pistols. Who says I havent got a heart of gold?

ATB
    Ian