Thread: Reloading for clays.

Reloading for clays.

Is it worth it,? I reload 303/357/44 mag and 45/70 already so is worth doing 12 gauge as well.? I don't shoot clays very often
    but always keen to keep the price of my shooting as low as possible. Tim

Junes1 is offline Not much point really in that case
    If you're shooting 12 gauge it's not really worth it from a financial point of view but if you want another string to your shooting hobby it is great fun to shoot with shells you have made. It can be made a little cheaper but you have to work at it, knockout primers and homemade shot, deals on powder and wads in bulk etc.

info

Tim any re loading is good for the pocket ,but for shooting DTL SKEET SPORTING they just are not 100% .I have done in the past , reloaded for DTL then the last bird of a 25 bird comp and the dam think fires but with out any shot in . The crimping of the cartridge was not good enough and i had a pocket full of shot after the comp. For just shooting and enjoying it they are fine. Mind my reloading press was old they are better now than the one i had one 40 years back . And in my hay day, i shot for the county 5 times won it twice .My friend is still in to it now, and this year, he shot for England 22 times. Good luck with your shooting its a great passtime.Do you want some cups to clean ha ha .

Its a journey!

There maybe a reloader close to you.

I reload for fun. It costs money. But then again its a consumer sport.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Is it worth it,? I reload 303/357/44 mag and 45/70 already so is worth doing 12 gauge as well.? I don't shoot clays very often
    but always keen to keep the price of my shooting as low as possible. Tim
    Well. Sir, if you don't shoot very often IMO it's false economy to load your own. 500 a week and six or seven hundred at the weekend makes it worth while. But fifty 'sporting clays' once a month or less it's a no-brainer.

tac

I would say go for it
    Get a lee load all and buy a manual and bits and bobs it's fun and you can alwYs work up some heavies nd if you don't want the hassle sell the kit and you won't be much out of pocket!!!

I load 3"12g and some 2 3/4 and even tho people say buying is cheaper you can't buy the heavies cheaper
    And my home loads are faster .

Atb
    Jon

For clays, you wont save much at all. I use once fired hulls from the clay ground. Most grounds are only too pleased to let you help yourself but you should be picky. Make sure they are not soaking wet and they are 70mm hulls. You don't want to take home a load of 65mm carts only to chuck them away because they are the wrong size. I use a Lee Load-All II and reload 70mm hulls. I find Fiocchi and Superfast hulls reload well. I reload for pigeons as well which saves more.

It is a very interesting part of our sport and a hobby in itself. It also saves you getting square eyes from that damn box. I use Folkstone Engineering Supplies and he is very economical. Powder and primers will cost £30 for postage (Hazmat couriers). I can't get down there for the postage on shot and wads though (£9.00). Very good deals on bulk purchase. Have a look on his web site.
    Last edited by Uncle Albert; 08-03-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Rochfordac.co.uk
    AA TX200 AA S410
    Daystate Mk4 IsT A fine silken boddied woman