Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley Service mk2, main sear........question

webley Service mk2, main sear........question

Gentlemen,
    I havs a Webley Service mk.2, 3rd pattern that requires a new main sear. Knibbs shows 2 types of main sear for the series, yet the piston and trigger show the same part for all series. So, do you know if the 2 types of main sear are interchangeable......?
    The reason I ask is that the sear for first pattern is £15 cheaper than the sear for patterns 2 and 3....!!, and I do like saving money,especially as the sear I need is £50. !
    Pete.

Hi Pete,

Sorry, I do not know the answer to your question...however, I think there was a great thread about a chap who made a sear for a service rifle from an old spanner!...will see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....e+sear+spanner

...got to be worth a try before shelling out £50, surely
    blah blah

Hi Pete,

The 1st Series Service was fitted with a two part sear, whilst later rifles had the 1 part sear, the earliest of which had a cutout for the safety catch.

Is it not possible to reshape and reharden the original sear? Gerald Cardew did this for me once and it fit better than the Knibbs replacement I obtained at the time!

John

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi Pete,

Sorry, I do not know the answer to your question...however, I think there was a great thread about a chap who made a sear for a service rifle from an old spanner!...will see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....e+sear+spanner

...got to be worth a try before shelling out £50, surely
    Thanks Dave, but the op has removed the pictures of his endeavours. However I get the idea.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Thanks Dave, but the op has removed the pictures of his endeavours. However I get the idea.
    Pete.

Unfortunately Pete

BBS member NortonAMC who made a sear out of a spanner passed away a while ago which explains the lack of pictures.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 15-02-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Pete,

The 1st Series Service was fitted with a two part sear, whilst later rifles had the 1 part sear, the earliest of which had a cutout for the safety catch.

Is it not possible to reshape and reharden the original sear? Gerald Cardew did this for me once and it fit better than the Knibbs replacement I obtained at the time!

John
    John,
    Thanks. The 2 sears shown on knibbs website are both one piece, so I guess the early one has a cutout for the safety catch £35. The late one is the same as mine but at £50 it sounds a bit rich. From what you have told me the early one should fit ,safety or not, ( mine hasn't got a safety).If so that saves me £15.00, which is a lot when you are a pensioner.
    I have only recently acquired the rifle and the sear has already been re profiled........by the looks of it by a drunken farm worker ,on a 7" bench grinder....!!! It is working at the moment as is but I don't trust it so want to replace it, hence my question regarding the 2 sears shown on J. K 's website.
    Pete.

John,
    Thanks. The 2 sears shown on knibbs website are both one piece, so I guess the early one has a cutout for the safety catch £35. The late one is the same as mine but at £50 it sounds a bit rich. From what you have told me the early one should fit ,safety or not, ( mine hasn't got a safety).If so that saves me £15.00, which is a lot when you are a pensioner.
    I have only recently acquired the rifle and the sear has already been re profiled........by the looks of it by a drunken farm worker ,on a 7" bench grinder....!!! It is working at the moment as is but I don't trust it so want to replace it, hence my question regarding the 2 sears shown on J. K 's website.
    Pete.
    I'd just like to speak up for drunken farm workers everywhere, especially those with 7" anythings.

Without us, er, them, what would the nation eat?

What's that you say, Pete - Let them eat cake?

I'll sort you out at MM in April.

Another reason to look forward to it.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I'd just like to speak up for drunken farm workers everywhere, especially those with 7" anythings.

Without us, er, them, what would the nation eat?

What's that you say, Pete - Let them eat cake?

I'll sort you out at MM in April.

Another reason to look forward to it.

ATVB, Mick
    Don't you start. why do I get the impression this topic is going off at a tangent.??

Pete.

Wtf

Don't you start. why do I get the impression this topic is going off at a tanget?

Pete.
    Would that be an accidental discharge then, Pete?

Seriously, though, would you have it any other way?

Good night, good knight.

ATVB, Mick

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Would that be an accidental discharge then, Pete?

Seriously, though, would you have it any other way?

Good night, good knight.

ATVB, Mick
    Indeed not Mick, I would not have it any other way........I was kidding with you, just as you are still doing it now.
    In fact, sometimes these threads go off at a tngent that is reminiscent of the ' Janet and Jack' tales that Wogan used to tell on his radio 2 show. How he never got banned I don't know.
    So enough talk of farmers with 7" anything and accidental discharges before the pc brigade shut down gentlemans corner.
    Oh, I don't suppose you know the answer to my original question do you....???

Pete.

Indeed not Mick, I would not have it any other way........I was kidding with you, just as you are still doing it now.
    In fact, sometimes these threads go off at a tngent that is reminiscent of the ' Janet and Jack' tales that Wogan used to tell on his radio 2 show. How he never got banned I don't know.
    So enough talk of farmers with 7" anything and accidental discharges before the pc brigade shut down gentlemans corner.
    Oh, I don't suppose you know the answer to my original question do you....???

Pete.
    I'd forgotten that there was an original question!

And I don't know the answer. Sorry, Mick

The Wogan tales were brilliant. As was his take on Eurovision. I'd have loved to hear what he'd have made of the Olympic opening ceremony.

I have been keeping an eye on T.W. Chambers and co, for Webley service spares.

Does anybody have any feedback on them?

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by PSmith46 View Post
    I have been keeping an eye on T.W. Chambers and co, for Webley service spares.

Does anybody have any feedback on them?

Paul.
    As long as you ignore the 'Genuine Webley' next to the part description on Chamber's listings, and take note that the majority of parts are 'currently out of stock', and have been since the year dot, you won't go far wrong.
    Unless stated as being 'used' parts, virtually all other parts will be pattern parts and may require some fettling to fit properly. The same applies to spares from John Knibbs.
    There are very few, if any, new original Webley Service Mk.II spares to be found.
    Being a great fan of the Service rifle, I've tried to obtain as many spares as possible over the years, with very little success. I prefer not to fit 'pattern' spares, but sometimes there's no alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As long as you ignore the 'Genuine Webley' next to the part description on Chamber's listings, and take note that the majority of parts are 'currently out of stock', and have been since the year dot, you won't go far wrong.
    Unless stated as being 'used' parts, virtually all other parts will be pattern parts and may require some fettling to fit properly. The same applies to spares from John Knibbs.
    There are very few, if any, new original Webley Service Mk.II spares to be found.
    Being a great fan of the Service rifle, I've tried to obtain as many spares as possible over the years, with very little success. I prefer not to fit 'pattern' spares, but sometimes there's no alternative.
    Thanks Troubleshooter,
    You may have saved me some time, hassle, and cash.

As for spares, I may literally have a case full of them in the form of a pair of MK.II's both in the need of some repair.
    I was going to get then done up by a gunsmith, but I'm now seriously considering selling them as spares or "one can make the other good".

I think I only need about three parts to make them both good, but then there is the added expense of getting them fixed by a pro.
    I'm going to do some serious thinking about that, as I don't really want to separate them....must be getting sentimental in my old age!
    Thanks again,
    Paul.

P.S. Pete...I'm sorry, but I seem to be hogging your thread..wont happen again.