Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading stand

Loading stand

Hi All
    I'm after a reloading stand for a Ruger old army ( to use when loading light loads of triple seven ) any body know of anybody selling them?
    Cheers Bally

Dick over at BigLube dot com has the stainless-steel 'Tower Of Power' I have one, with the brass adapters to do my 31, 36 and 44's. I even got an adapter to cope with the massive Colt Walker cylinder (ask it don't come as standard)

They are totally over-engineered marvels, great welding, great bearings. I cannot recommend them enough. They are works of art.

About £150 if I remember totals, when posted by airmail and VAT paid. Plus our wonderful private Royal Mails £8 'Handling Fee'.

Other will suggest others, maybe far cheaper. But I do have a ToP and can speak to the quality.

"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

ros

I've made one of them. but would like the press type where you remove the pistol cylinder and load separate so I can load light loads of 777. The ram rod does not go deep enough ( story of my life ) cheers any way

After joining 'I've bent the base pin club' I ordered one of these.

http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bps...R_ID=890315643

I got the replacement cylinder latch from A and A gunsmiths at Skegness

http://aandagunsmiths.co.uk/for-sale/

Having now used them for about 6 months I've found the loading stand to be spot on. You have to ensure the grub screws are tight and give it a light lub about once a month.
    It enables you to see depth of seating of the ball , ensures your getting all powder and filler in the cylinder and I've found it quicker to load.

This is my homemade one. The black alloy block spent most of its life flying around in the tailfin of a Jaguar. The other two are being made for club members who keep borrowing mine when I want to use it!

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...218_092004.jpg

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...220_084519.jpg
    Last edited by DesG; 20-02-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added pic.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

That looks good

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Not knocking the reloading stand here, I can see that they make life so much easier.

Just a small heads up to those who aspire to MLAGB competitions. The MLAGB rules require that revolvers are not disassembled for loading, with the exception of those revolvers which have no built in rammer.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

roa

Desg

They look very good, if your club members don't take them I would buy one off you

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    ....The MLAGB rules require that revolvers are not disassembled for loading, with the exception of those revolvers which have no built in rammer.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told the ROA didn't qualify for MLAGB comps as it was a modern design 'in the style of' and not classed as a reproduction?

Quote Originally Posted by bally796 View Post
    Desg

They look very good, if your club members don't take them I would buy one off you
    I'm charging them 25 quid. This retirement is leaving me and my workshop with lots of time together so if you want one for that + postage, pm me.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by bally796 View Post
    Hi All
    I'm after a reloading stand for a Ruger old army ( to use when loading light loads of triple seven ) any body know of anybody selling them?
    Cheers Bally
    Bally, a quick question as a friend of mine has just bought a Uberti new army 44 and is using triple 7 (I always use BP so I can't advise him). If you are using a light load, do you seat the ball deeply or use filler? Hogdon apparently advise against filler due to increased pressure.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told the ROA didn't qualify for MLAGB comps as it was a modern design 'in the style of' and not classed as a reproduction?
    You are correct, the ROA is not a repro it is an original, however it cannot be entered into original competitions, nor, because of the coil springs can it be used in "spirit of the original" competitions.

It can be entered in "any gun" competitions, but must be used in accordance with the MLAGB rules.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Bally, a quick question as a friend of mine has just bought a Uberti new army 44 and is using triple 7 (I always use BP so I can't advise him). If you are using a light load, do you seat the ball deeply or use filler? Hogdon apparently advise against filler due to increased pressure.
    Either will work. Difficult to see how a reduced load can give a higher pressure than a full load, but perhaps it depends on what filler you use. The received wisdom is that best accuracy is achieved with the ball just below the mouth of the chamber so a filler would be needed, but individual experiences may differ.

According to the Hogdon site, filler is mandatory when using reduced loads of 777 to reload cartridges? It is silent on muzzle loaders other than stressing that there must be no free space.
    TANSTAAFL

Another good reloading thingy is the "Lazy Git" loading press.
    Although it is a press for removed cylinder.

Mark