Thread: Odd over stamp on an LP53

Odd over stamp on an LP53

I have an LP53 dated by Walther as being made in 1957 that has stamped (lightly and finely) on the area that carries the gun details - B. E. A. CORPORATION.

I think (I have had it for many years) that it came to me through a contact in USA.

For some sort of reason I kind of associated the stamp with Beeman (don't ask why) but realise that it pre dates his obsession with airguns so have tried to research it but to no avail. Yes, there are companies with said initials but I cannot relate them to air pistols.

Anyone out there know something that might shed some light??????????????
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

B.E.A....... British European Airways.

Perhaps they had a gun club.

Ha very Ha. Google it, there is/are BEA Corps out there but they do not relate. Also we are talking nearly 60 years ago.

Helpful replies appreciated.
    lodmoor

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    B.E.A....... British European Airways. Perhaps they had a gun club.
    Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Ha very Ha....Also we are talking nearly 60 years ago. Helpful replies appreciated.
    I don't think oldgeezer was being facetious... BEA did also go under the name BEA Corp, the timeframe is correct and they did have a shooting club. It's a longshot but not necessarily a wind-up IMO.

Perhaps a photo would help as the typeface and exact layout can be diagnostic.

OK, will sort but I am still sure that it came in from the US of A. (Ain't it a pain that we can't post pics here an' they have to be hosted).
    lodmoor

Send me the picture, Richard.

It proved difficult to photograph but here is the link;

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...0489_small.jpg
    lodmoor

Ha very Ha. Google it, there is/are BEA Corps out there but they do not relate. Also we are talking nearly 60 years ago.

Helpful replies appreciated.
    Quite surprising how quickly you went from not knowing anything to assuming that the first reply was a wind-up.
    Many large corporations did have,and some still do,gun clubs.
    It was not unusual to mark "club guns" in order to avoid any mix-ups about ownership.
    Last edited by oldgeezer; 17-02-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

Quite surprising how quickly you went from not knowing anything to assuming that the first reply was a wind-up.
    Many large corporations did have,and some still do,gun clubs.
    It was not unusual to mark "club guns" in order to avoid any mix-ups about ownership.
    Sorry, the suggestion did seem to me to be a p**s take, I still find the thought of it being a gun club stamp difficult to accept.

Again, very sorry for causing offence.

Have you looked at the pic and do you still think it could be a gun club stamp?
    lodmoor

Sorry, the suggestion did seem to me to be a p**s take, I still find the thought of it being a gun club stamp difficult to accept.

Again, very sorry for causing offence.

Have you looked at the pic and do you still think it could be a gun club stamp?
    It's OK,forget it.Done, dusted and forgotten.

It certainly looks as though whoever stamped it was just a bit nervous about how hard to hit it.Suggests to me that they did not stamp too many guns of that type.

It's OK,forget it.Done, dusted and forgotten.

It certainly looks as though whoever stamped it was just a bit nervous about how hard to hit it.Suggests to me that they did not stamp too many guns of that type.
    Yes, it does look like a rather shallow stamping!

It doesn't seem surprising that such a big company, having bought a LP53 out of club funds, would have wanted to stamp the pistol with its brand.

It might be worth doing some Googling to see if another artefact from the BEA Corp days has turned up for sale with a similar stamp on it?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lp 53

I have a Lp 53 with the same logo marked on it.The number of this pistol is 021613.Out of interest are there anymore out there with the same logo? pete.