Thread: Big balls an advantage in scoring?

Big balls an advantage in scoring?

I had an interesting conversation with someone the other day who is apparently an experienced BP shooter. He reckoned I was putting myself at a disadvantage by using a .36cal rather than a 44 as the ball has to be over halfway across the line to score the higher points. Well either he has a poor understanding of what halfway means or I do!

Incidentally, I've been shooting a 44 for years but decided to try 36cal when a rather nice Pedersoli le page came my way at a good price. It's a completly new challenge.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Surely the whole point of the MLAGB 'half way' rule is to STOP calibre making any difference?
    By making sure you are half way over the line you are effectively scoring with the centre point of the impact, not the edge.
    Steve

I know a chap I shoot with, who walks his dogs round a big circular lake near where I live. He says, to save time, he often walks just half way around then turns back. He will not be told...

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    Surely the whole point of the MLAGB 'half way' rule is to STOP calibre making any difference?
    By making sure you are half way over the line you are effectively scoring with the centre point of the impact, not the edge.
    Steve

....is the correct answer.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I'm glad I wasn't loosing my sanity!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

On the other hand, for Gallery Rifle shooting "inward scoring", i.e if it touches the line its "in", a larger caliber is an advantage...

I shoot a .38, but got .44 on my FAC just in case i feel the need to squeek a few extra points...

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    On the other hand, for Gallery Rifle shooting "inward scoring", i.e if it touches the line its "in", a larger caliber is an advantage...

I shoot a .38, but got .44 on my FAC just in case i feel the need to squeek a few extra points...
    I score the Hendon league targets for our club and it's a bloody nightmare with inward/outward and halfway scoring!!! Only a couple of people use .44u/l with us and am pleased to say the 38ers (me included) beat them hands down. (Smug)

Actually I had an empty .44 u/l slot on my ticket as well but did a 1 4 1 to my .36 le page.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi