Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Service and the mystery oriental script

Webley Service and the mystery oriental script

Gents,
    I had a couple of hours to spare today so decided to start renovating the stock of my recently acquired Mk 2 Service rifle. The stock was covered in a yukky brown coloured varnish , beneath which I was sure lurked a nice piece of walnut.
    Well after scraping off the varnish I was confronted by a logo filled in with filler. After removing the filler I discovered a distinctly oriental looking pictogram/ font carved into the stock. This is deliberate carving and not a scratch.
    I wonder if any of you chaps can throw any light on this for me. I have googled' 'oriental script', but there are thousands of possibilities and many languages involved. Over to you budding Sherlocks....

Link to pic here. .https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s7xgnr1q7...52124.jpg?dl=0

Pete.

Hi Pete,
    It looks to me like it may be HC or HE rather than an Asian Character?

ATB,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Gents,
    I had a couple of hours to spare today so decided to start renovating the stock of my recently acquired Mk 2 Service rifle. The stock was covered in a yukky brown coloured varnish , beneath which I was sure lurked a nice piece of walnut.
    Well after scraping off the varnish I was confronted by a logo filled in with filler. After removing the filler I discovered a distinctly oriental looking pictogram/ font carved into the stock. This is deliberate carving and not a scratch.
    I wonder if any of you chaps can throw any light on this for me. I have googled' 'oriental script', but there are thousands of possibilities and many languages involved. Over to you budding Sherlocks....

Link to pic here. .https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s7xgnr1q7...52124.jpg?dl=0

Pete.
    Are you sure it's not the carved initials of Henry Evans (or someone), Pete?

Edit: Bu**er! Mark beat me to it!
    Last edited by Garvin; 18-02-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Khyber Pass model or Afghani Mark I

Sorry I have nothing sensible to contribute!

John

Confusious say

Man with carved butt has pants down in gunshop.....

AhSo

webley service & the mystery oriental script

The initials are in the form of a sigil, a magical symbol (for the owner maybe) Before you all laugh look around you at companies logos everywhere written in this form & see how common it is for companies to use this method of logo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Hi Pete,
    It looks to me like it may be HC or HE rather than an Asian Character?

ATB,
    Mark.
    I don't think it is initials H E ,as the two letters ( if that's what they are)? are different sizes.
    I am certain it is an eastern font or symbol
    Pete.

Keep the ideas coming chaps.......except binners, you are just being silly...!

That's why we love him.

HC initials

Rotate it 90 deg clockwise and it looks like an overlay of H and C. Initials of the owner, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Rotate it 90 deg clockwise and it looks like an overlay of H and C. Initials of the owner, I would say.
    Hmmmmm. ?.....There is also what appears to be a small letter L in the middle.......unless this is a mistake,or a scratch.....!

Now. Do Initials carved into wood or engraved into metalwork on a collectable airgun add to the interest/ history or de- value the item.......??????
    Your views gentlemen.
    Pete.

i suppose it would depend on who carved them

Who or what would do that to a Webley Service Rifle. Bloody Philistine!! That has to be the Airgun equivalent of beating your initials into the bonnet of an E-type Jag, with a centre punch and block hammer. I nearly cried when I saw that !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Who or what would do that to a Webley Service Rifle. Bloody Philistine!! That has to be the Airgun equivalent of beating your initials into the bonnet of an E-type Jag, with a centre punch and block hammer. I nearly cried when I saw that !!!!!!
    Especially when you remember that in the 1930's the Webley Service was a very expensive item, certainly purchased by only the well healed.
    I can live with it because I have no intention of selling the rifle, or I have considered cutting out a circle or oval in its place and inletting a silver or brass plate to be engraved or not. More acceptible I think.
    Pete.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'd sand them out.