Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Service and the mystery oriental script

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Especially when you remember that in the 1930's the Webley Service was a very expensive item, certainly purchased by only the well healed.
    I can live with it because I have no intention of selling the rifle, or I have considered cutting out a circle or oval in its place and inletting a silver or brass plate to be engraved or not. More acceptible I think.
    Pete.
    I think the best would be to consider a previous owner's initials as part of the history of the gun, there to stay. Perhaps it was someone posh!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Looks like it's been branded rather than carved to me. and l would say devalued sorry Pete

I suspect it was owned in the 1940's by a glamorous red head with ruby red lips and an hourglass figure.She wore a pencil skirt with fishnet stockings and suspenders underneath! With one sharpened and blood red varnished fingernail she carved her initials into your butt,Pete! ......and went by the name of Heavenly Caress!

http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/7...9KNZgyqGai.jpg

I think I just managed to treble the value of your gun,Pete!
    Last edited by mrto; 19-02-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I'd sand them out.
    Too deep for that Jon. I think an inletted brass disc will do it.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I suspect it was owned in the 1940's by a glamorous red head with ruby red lips and an hourglass figure.She wore a pencil skirt with fishnet stockings and suspenders underneath! With one sharpened and blood red varnished fingernail she carved her initials into your butt,Pete! ......and went by the name of Heavenly Caress!

Mark, you naughty boy, you have been listening to 'Janet and Jack' on Wogan again haven't you.?

Pete.

it's H E L hand engraved badly sand it out what a dick doing that to a nice bit of walnut
    millybot1

Ive got something similar on my bsa cadet.. its like a pointy number 8 with a 'T' coming off the end.. doesnt look like initails .. more like a pictogram or rune..
    Donald

Have a look at a list of CYRILLIC alphabet letters,might be a clue there. Graham.

It looks to me to be either the initials of a former owner has stated by previous posters, or it could be Japanese caracters just my thoughts

Definately not cyrillic. As Dave states it could be H.E. of H.C. or there are very similar characters in Chinese and Japanese, but as yet I have not been able to view every oriental character. ?

I would be suprised if the owner of this rifle would have superimposed the letters in this modern style, they would more likely have put them side by side in the traditional manner.?
    Pete.

On second thoughts, may be worth very carefully mixing up some wood filler of the correct shade and filling it up. Lots of patience in matching the colour, perhaps even, if you are that fastidious, using different colours to match the existing grain colour variation and making this close to invisible or at least so barely visible that you are not reminded of it each time you pick up the gun.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

That is definitely oriental script it means :-

number 47 which is looking at my menu is chicken chop suey with fried rice

I will now get my coat

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

Still owned by a red head from the 40's but there similarities end

Quote Originally Posted by grezoor View Post
    Still owned by a red head from the 40's but there similarities end

Thanks mate........

Symbol

I think your photo is upside down.

Kevin
    Daystate Panther in .177
    Daystate Air Ranger in .22
    BSA Meteor Mk1 in .22