Thread: Quickload

Quickload

Before I splash out on 'Quickload', would anyone care to comment on how well the predictions made by the program actually match up well with measured results?
    I'm only loading for .308, .223 and 8mm and then only for up to 600 yards. Money well spent or is it really a program for the heavy or long distance user?
    I suppose my main reason for asking is that my MVs for a given quantity of propellant and weight of projectile seem somewhat different (lower) than those published in the various reloading manuals. Whilst this doesn't bother me greatly, I wonder whether 'Quickload' might be useful for determining the effects of different barrel lengths and twist rates?

Quick load

I have this, and it is pretty good on predicting MVs etc. I might add that you see these speeds published, which seem a bit 'rapid' for reality, especially on American forums. I guess they were shot at 3000 ASL in mid 80's temperatures---that sure will bump up the speeds!
    Not exactly Bisley in February is it?
    As to different barrels etc, well, your pretty much stuck with what you've got, so probably it's a bit academic.
    However, I reckon you would get on better with a decent reloading manual and a good chronograph.
    Then something like Strelok or similar, which is free,, to take care of the 'come-ups'.
    There's loads of info, loads and bullet data available on the wonder web. All you need is a speed and BC
    for your load in your rifle, and the world's your lobster!!
    Regards,
    David

While only a newby to reloading, I load & shoot what is accurate in my rifle the MV is only a point of side interest, what does it matter if it's not what the book says another rifle shot ?

Quote Originally Posted by taz2 View Post
    I have this, and it is pretty good on predicting MVs etc. I might add that you see these speeds published, which seem a bit 'rapid' for reality, especially on American forums. I guess they were shot at 3000 ASL in mid 80's temperatures---that sure will bump up the speeds!
    Not exactly Bisley in February is it?
    As to different barrels etc, well, your pretty much stuck with what you've got, so probably it's a bit academic.
    However, I reckon you would get on better with a decent reloading manual and a good chronograph.
    Then something like Strelok or similar, which is free,, to take care of the 'come-ups'.
    There's loads of info, loads and bullet data available on the wonder web. All you need is a speed and BC
    for your load in your rifle, and the world's your lobster!!
    Regards,
    David
    Thanks David. I have a good chrono and several reloading manuals. I also use Strelok which is great for the 'come ups' - very accurate indeed. As you say, the Americans do seem to achieve some high speeds. I'm finding that lighter loads and slower speeds are more accurate in the .308, but I'm still curious about what added value 'Quickload' could provide.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    While only a newby to reloading, I load & shoot what is accurate in my rifle the MV is only a point of side interest, what does it matter if it's not what the book says another rifle shot ?
    It's handy to know actual velocity if you're using a ballistic app for dialling in.......
    Thanks for looking

Well, I quite agree with you. I have loads that work very well in my rifles and that's what I stick to. I guess I'm just curious as to what 'Quickload' could offer in the way of additional information or perhaps an improved understanding of what's happening within!

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    It's handy to know actual velocity if you're using a ballistic app for dialling in.......
    And for this Strelok works really well for me. I get the velocity from the chrono, but was wondering, I suppose, whether 'Quickload' might give a sufficiently accurate idea of velocity thus enabling me to do away with dragging the chrono out at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Well, I quite agree with you. I have loads that work very well in my rifles and that's what I stick to. I guess I'm just curious as to what 'Quickload' could offer in the way of additional information or perhaps an improved understanding of what's happening within!
    The best thing I have found with it is the ability to swap powders which aren't normally listed for a particular cartridge.
    Or, equally, reproducing copies of factory loads. For instance I wanted to produce some ammunition for my Enforcer. The max pressure for this is 50000 psi which can be far exceeded by factory 308. A decent bullet (155 SMK) and some powder up to the pressure level taken from quick load and I get a match quality round which is safe in the gun.

I wish that both Ackley and Beerhunter were still members, I recall numerous spirited debates about this very subject.
    Beerhunter swore by Quickloads ability to predict potentially accurate loads, Ackley could be a bit of a luddite and stuck with the tried and tested work up a load in your own rifle philosophy.
    If they could have done a Mr Spock mind meld to get the best of both worlds they would have made a formidable team.

Yes, but for that you need your MV from a chrono, not what another rifle in another country did, that was what I was trying to say.

Yes, but for that you need your MV from a chrono, not what another rifle in another country did, that was what I was trying to say.
    Ah with you, I thought you were getting at the idea that there was no need to Chrono the rounds.
    Thanks for looking

Ah with you, I thought you were getting at the idea that there was no need to Chrono the rounds.
    No I'd never say that, I've been putting my figures for the Hornet in to Chairgun & the graph's pretty much bang on the practical range results.