Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can anyone help date my Webley Service mk.2 from the serial number......please.

can anyone help date my Webley Service mk.2 from the serial number......please.

As per title. The serial number of my third series mk2 Service rifle isn...S 4487.
    I am thinking that if I know the exact year of manufacture this will help with my other quest to solve the carved initials or script or whatever it is on the stock. If I cannot solve that connundrum I may inlet a silver florin of the year of manufacture into the stock to cover the marking.........just a thought.
    Pete.

I'm fairly sure you are winding us up now Pete.

A florin!
    That's two bob where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I'm fairly sure you are winding us up now Pete.

A florin!
    That's two bob where I come from.
    Wind you up mate...?? Perish the thought
    Anyway, florins from the 1930's were solid silver and fetch about £25 today. Have you got one you can give me...?

Pete.

Webley service & florins

Interesting, think my mum might have a florin or two. Is it just the 30's or older ones that are silver pete?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Interesting, think my mum might have a florin or two. Is it just the 30's or older ones that are silver pete?
    I think they were silver until the end of ww2 Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    As per title. The serial number of my third series mk2 Service rifle isn...S 4487.
    I am thinking that if I know the exact year of manufacture this will help with my other quest to solve the carved initials or script or whatever it is on the stock. If I cannot solve that connundrum I may inlet a silver florin of the year of manufacture into the stock to cover the marking.........just a thought.
    Pete.
    Thrale's book says S3000 near end '34 and .25 calibre around S7000+ April '37.
    So my guess is late '35

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Thrale's book says S3000 near end '34 and .25 calibre around S7000+ April '37.
    So my guess is late '35
    Thank you Jules. ......a voice of reason amongt a sea of jokers.
    I had thought '35 or '36 myself , so that really does seem the most plausible date.
    Thank you kind sir.
    Pete.

Wind you up mate...?? Perish the thought
    Anyway, florins from the 1930's were solid silver and fetch about £25 today. Have you got one you can give me...?

Pete.
    Thats' one way to increase it's value.

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.
    just a quick note , 1919 last date for .925 silver coinage . later coins were only .5

Quote Originally Posted by corbett View Post
    just a quick note , 1919 last date for .925 silver coinage . later coins were only .5
    Many thanks for that.
    Pete.

Pete.
    I think inletting an age appropriate silver coin into the stock is a fine idea and would probably negate the reducing effect of carved initials/grafitti on the gun's value - as long as the future owner doesn't know what unpleasantness it's covering up...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you Danny, that has restored my confidence somewhat. I have decided to inlet either an age related coin ( i.e florin) ,or a plain blank brass disc onto which a future owner could engrave his initials if so desired. Although tbh I am not planning on ever selling it, but how many of us have said that only to have circumstances dictate otherwise.

I have never owned a Service until now and I am very surprised at how well ballanced it is and , now it has been lightly fettled internally, how sweet shooting and accurate it is.

Pete.

Apologies for piggy back on your topic. Here's one in need of massage but quite low in the order.
    Can you share details of "light fettling internally" please?

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Apologies for piggy back on your topic. Here's one in need of massage but quite low in the order.
    Can you share details of "light fettling internally" please?

Light fettling........
    Firstly,the mainspring in the rifle was not the correct one......very stiff and too large diameter. So I found a softer spring out of my collection of springs. From memory.....32 coils, 3.00mm wire, 20mm o.d. sorry can't remember the rest but I am happy to remove it and re measure if needed. Lightly coated in Millers red rubber grease, with a slip washer at the rear . I also fabricated a piston sleave from a pop bottle and fitted this inside the piston with one delrin and one steel slip washer. Piston given a very thin smear of LT2 moly grease front and rear only.
    It is now easy and smooth to cock, firing very sweetly and VERY accurate. Muzzle velocity is 460 fps with 5.5mm Superdomes and 500 fps with Hobbies.
    With a stiffer mainspring I have had 550 fps from it, but it was stiff to cock and harsher to shoot.
    I love it.
    Pete.
    Last edited by flatrajectory; 21-02-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Good info. on a sensible level of fettle. Filed away for reference. many thanks.